addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a pot grabber I bought years ago, works great for hauling the lilies out of the pond. I grab the edge of the oil pan and drag it out.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
While the pots are still submerged, they are pretty light weight. The trick is getting them close to the side and then grabbing the pot. I have a ledge close to the one side of the pond that I bring my pots up to and then I can grab the pot. I am still using a couple of the same pots and hangers from 12 years ago. Sometimes one side of the hanger will break, but it still leaves two others to get the pot out. Then I just replace the hanger part of the pot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I haven't figured out a way to avoid, putting on my suspenders and getting in the pond. I can move the pots to the sides of the pond, but not without getting in the pond. Once I have them to the sides, I have my husband help lift them out. I then work on them while I'm standing in the pond. This year, I might try getting them all out of the pond, working on them, then getting back in the pond to place them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Tula - I do the same. If the water is warm, I don't mind working in the pond. But if it's a really messy re-potting I do it outside the pond. Sometimes it practically takes an ax to divide the tubers! So it would be nice to devise a way to pull the pots out without actually getting in the pond. I can move them around pretty easily without getting in - as @cas said, they are relatively light while in the water. It's the lifting them out that gets tricky!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I decided to tie clear monofilament (fishing line) to three points of the hanging pots and that's how I move my lilies around. I haven't had to divide any yet but I do fertilize and lower them when it comes winter time. Since the line is clear, it's not that hard to disguise and since the pots are closer to the surface, I can tuck the line underneath the pots a bit. Once the leaves start in, you can't even see the lines.

Michael

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
As I was complaining while doing the chore this year my hubby said "maybe you should just hire someone to divide them every two years". The thought never crossed my mind, but I suspect whoever would be willing to do it would charge an arm and a leg, I know I would LOL.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
A bit of a cheat is a pedestal set just below the water surface, which you can set a plank to across where the lily tub is...

Walking the plank might be preferable to wading when it is cooooold

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I take out a large serrated knife, my yard knife, it cuts through those suckers like butter. I attempt to de-tangle roots, if no success, chop!

Ask a Question