DIY filter media question

Reaction score
I have seen on different posts that people have been using the blue furnace filter (bought from lowes) in their bio-filters. Is that type of media really safe for the fish? I want to put it in my filter later in the spring but do not want it to harm my koi.

Reaction score
We use many things for our filter materal, one good thing is the floor sanding pads (for floor vibrating sanders)
They are about 6.00 each ...3/4" thick, about 12 x 20 in size. very dense...They come maroon, white and black.
The colors represent the density of the pad. They last for years and years, and are very effective.

Home depot sells them in the floor sanding machine rental section. Or any equiptment rental store.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I buy those buffing machine pads also and for a round filter they work great .I buy it color and layer them but still use my lava rock under them ,I just love lava rock maybe heavy ,but I put them in laundry bags and makes it easier if I have to clean them ,I have to replace the laundry bags once in awhile but get them at the dollar store and you get 3 bags for a dollar and small size makes them easy to handle .Old fashioned filter media every one relied on before other new stuff came out .But I like it others don't and ave even seen several bogs on you tube that used lava rock

Reaction score
Thank you for the thoughts. I am using poly rope in my filter and wanted to top it off with the blue filter. Hope everything works this summer otherwise try something different

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I found a filter the other day and it is foam and says activated charcoal is in it and it is actually for an air handler or air cleaner for a furnace or one of those large whole house air cleaner .I found it at the home and garden show .I was looking at new heat pump for my house that is more energy efficient .They had a small local show in Danville and thought I would go .It is not thick only maybe a quarter inch thick ,but they were sold in a package of 4 for 10 dollars and are 24x 24 and I am going to try them .The only name they have on them is goodman air cleaner and that was just on the sticker on the bag they came in anyone ever hear of them .He only had 2 bags of them and I bought both and have been looking online since and can't find them .I checked out goodman heat pumps but could not find them listed .The display they had had an air handler that cleaned the whole house and he said it was a 4 stage air cleaner .There were 3 kinds of filters in it .This one and a thick paper type one and a blue foam one and this black foam one that says it is charcoal activated .It is thin but figure if you stacked them it may work .The charcoal one is for smoke and odors .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That looks similar but those look thicker and these are thin and don't have that card board around they look like a big skinny piece of foam .I never really thought of them and I will see how good they work I put them in today .Those sure aren't cheap are they but they look a lot thicker though .I wonder if these were just some kind of sample .It doesn't say those are foam though

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Do these blue filters come in a roll? At the Atlanta Lowes online I only see this kind of stuff... is this what you are talking about using for a biofilter?

• $23.26

Qty.: Add to CartFlanders 30" x 240" x 1" Fiberglass Air Filter​
    • Item #: 166014
    • Model #: HR30240
    • Rolls are packaged in convenient carton dispensers
    • Flanders Filters is the foremost in air filtration with over 60 years of filtration experience
    • UL 900 class 2

• EZ Flow 12-Pack 18" x 20" x 1" Fiberglass Air Filters
    stars_review_30.gif
    (1 Review)

$20.12

Qty.:​

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The ones I buy are only sold at home depot and don't have any cardboard around them .I also use buffying machine pads .A neighbor of mine got hold of a bunch of sea sponges as her husband is a trucker and now wondering how they would work in a filter .

Ask a Question