Do I need a heater in 8a zone for 125 gallon pond with fish

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Still deciding what I plan to do....I have a green house that I will be putting up to house my plants. Might be an option to put them inside the green house, as I do have another form pond not being used. I still have not ruled out the aquarium inside. I got the fish to help with stress levels from work. Come home and sit back and watch them, soothing!! Since they are small fish at this time, I really don't want to hide my fish for a couple of months, as I enjoy seeing them daily. But the importance is keeping them healthy and alive. Like I had mentioned, I don't have fish in the backyard pond with the waterfall. That is also a preformed pond about 125. I want to remove the form and make that into a larger pond (deeper/wider) and not use a form, but the liner. I just have not started that project yet. Then I can move the Koi into that garden pond.
Greenhouse! Now that sounds like an idea!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pat, my pond is around 10' x 12' and average of 2 1/2' deep. My fish are tiny and growing. They are maybe 4" long and the babies are less than an inch but they are Shubunkins not Koi so a bit hardier fish from what I understand.
It sounds like you could probably house your Koi in the greenhouse (maybe like I said I don't have Koi so don't know) and keep the goldfish in the pond. How deep was your pond? I know Addy has a shallow pond that froze and her goldfish did just fine. Fishcicles and all!

Reaction score
Pat, my pond is around 10' x 12' and average of 2 1/2' deep. My fish are tiny and growing. They are maybe 4" long and the babies are less than an inch but they are Shubunkins not Koi so a bit hardier fish from what I understand.
It sounds like you could probably house your Koi in the greenhouse (maybe like I said I don't have Koi so don't know) and keep the goldfish in the pond. How deep was your pond? I know Addy has a shallow pond that froze and her goldfish did just fine. Fishcicles and all!
I think this pond is about 2 1/2 deep in the center, I will check when I get home this evening. Oh this just makes me nervous....can't let my babies freeze. I have one koi that is my favorite, he is not afraid of me at all, just comes up in my hand to eat. The one in the backyard is deeper but not much wider. That is the one I want to make bigger and deeper. More like what you have but deeper though, Not sure how deep, I want it deeper on one end and shallow on the other.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My understanding is 3' is a good solid depth. Mine is 3' on one side and drops to slightly deeper than 2' on the shallow end.
I think, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, you really only need to worry if your pond freezes, which if you have an aerator or even a waterfall shouldn't happen. I don't plan on turning my bog or waterfall or anything off this winter. The circulating water should keep the hose from freezing when we get cold spells.

Reaction score
My understanding is 3' is a good solid depth. Mine is 3' on one side and drops to slightly deeper than 2' on the shallow end.
I think, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, you really only need to worry if your pond freezes, which if you have an aerator or even a waterfall shouldn't happen. I don't plan on turning my bog or waterfall or anything off this winter. The circulating water should keep the hose from freezing when we get cold spells.
I was told the same thing you mentioned, keep the water circulating/moving and it should not freeze. Since this is my first winter coming with having outside fish, I wanted advise from people with experience.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could do a hoop house over your pond .I used 1 inch water line that I had here from well driller .I use it for shade but I think I will put some of that clear plastic over it that builder left behind .It is easy to do there are lots of video's on you tube .May dad used to have them on our farm and I would help him build them

Attachments

• lotus seed pond and property and eggplant  2015 049.JPG
    lotus seed pond and property and eggplant 2015 049.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 154
Reaction score
You could do a hoop house over your pond .I used 1 inch water line that I had here from well driller .I use it for shade but I think I will put some of that clear plastic over it that builder left behind .It is easy to do there are lots of video's on you tube .May dad used to have them on our farm and I would help him build them
Thanks, that is another good idea. I sort of did this with my plants last year, it served it's purpose but bought a green house for this year for the plants. Thanks for the idea, will add to my list of options.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It was a perform that had surprise fish in it . Just two in around 200 gallons. Around 18 inches deep, last winter it froze solid. The fish came from wandering eggs

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Pat, I would make your number one priority a bigger pond for your fish.
Winter in your area is a long way off, but 12 fish (including 8 koi) in a 125 gallon will give you worse problems before winter sets in.
With that many fish in such a small area, your filtration will certainly need to be oversized.

Ask a Question