Do you have rocks at the bottom of your pond?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Not sure how it works but I put it in my pond every spring for the last three years and it seems to do the job rather well.

Reaction score
the bacteria digests the organic matter and breakes it down, this is what it says on there site :
Live bacteria for removal of sludge and residue.

Specially cultivated live bacteria for removal of sludge and residue in ponds, filters and aquaria. In your pond, aquarium and filter organic sludge and residue will build up. Sludge and residue will build up on the bottom of your pond or aquarium or in the filter and is an ideal environment for pathogens. The decomposition of the sludge will effect the water quality. Bactuur Residex contains powerful natural bacteria which will quickly decompose sludge and will aid to create a safe and healthy environment for aquatic habitants.

Dosage

Weekly 10ml per 1000 litres until the sludge has been decomposed. After the sludge has been decomposed Bactuur Residex can be added to the pond water at 5ml per 1000 litres of water to prevent new sludge from accumulating.

rdk

Reaction score
I have only three very very large stones in my pond anchoring pots in the pond. I use Microbe-Lift Sludge away and I think it's fantastic. No slime on my rocks at all. No slime on my rubber bottom. Used it for over a year and a half and all my fish are fine. I use minimum amount for my pond once a month. Let me tell you what happens. My pond water turns pitch black for many days or weeks, The water really sparkles and shines. However I water change 20% every week. Now the water each week get clearer and clearer. Because my pond is a small 310 gal so I can afford this. This constant water change keeps me from having problems after problems. RDK

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cold someone explain why it is necessary to do water changes? I have never purposefully drained my pond to add water other than when i backflush my filter. I rely on nature to keep it full, there are times during the summer if we don't get rain that I will have to add water and I do have a sprinkler system that hits the pond as well that will add some water each week as well.

I have found that once you get your pond in balance you do not need to do much to it. I add some bacteria once a month, concentrated barley every week and sludge removal in the spring. I may check my water once a month and everything is always in good shape. I have found that plants are a key to the ecosystem in your pond, you need them to balance the pond with the fish and you have to be sure that you have enough of them. This year might be a challenge for me becuase each of my goldfish have procreated like the Octomom, so I will have to take some of the goldies out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Bacteria does not remove solids if it did you would never have to clean your filters.

Partial water changes: This is the only way nitrates (the final result of pond cycling) can be removed. It is also the only way besides filtration to reduce the concentration of minerals and contaminants in the pond.

Reaction score
no dodad it isnt the only way to remove nitrates from a pond, dont forget that plant life take up nitrates also, that is why i have used common reeds in my filter, due to there high nitrate take up,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok how many people don't have plants, where do the nitrates go?
To the algae. What do you think algae feed on? Why does evreyone suggest that we do 10% water changes?

5 water changes.

Reaction score
yes of course if you dont have plants then the algae will feed on the nitrates, after all algae is a plant form itself, and if you dont have plants then you will need to do partial water changes to remove nitrates, so you are correct had you said "it is the only way to remove nitrates, if you dont have plants in your pond", i was just commenting that plant life is another way to remove nitrates from your water,

Reaction score
Actually, denitrifying bacteria can step in and convert nitrate into nitrogen gas (or some other less desirable compounds). I have heard people claim that they had no plants and insignificant algae in an established aquarium and had consistantly 0 nitrates.

Ask a Question