Duck Pond (Pool) Filter/Pump Setup

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new here. I'm currently doing research for my duck pool to upgrade from the Aquagarden filter/pump setup here:
71L8if4TTwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

To this filter (Goplus Bio Filter):
61wBV5C65-L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

And either the Aquascape Aquaforce:
61hLHp6WeNL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Or Laguna Powerjet:
71jWNyipCAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Because I'm no expert on this stuff product wise, I wanted to ask here before I spend the money.

Things I like/are ideal:

I like that the Laguna has a fountain, similar to my old setup. Would this be sufficient to power the fountain and filter sufficiently? Also, I can't seem to find anything with the Aquascape when it comes to adding a fountain.

With the filter, I guess the return line I could add a fountain? But I also cant find anything there either. I'd ideally prefer something there instead of just a hose running back into the pool.

My old filter also has an integrated LED light, which makes it great to check on them at night as it lights up their pool.

Looking forward to the feedback! Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh here you are! I hope you'll come back and see that we really are friendly!

We have the Aquascape Aquaforce pump - it's a good pump in my opinion.

Reaction score
Hi all! Happy to see my thread is active haha (thanks moderator!).

Well, here is a photo of my current setup. I've actually gone through a ton of different pools and found this one to be by far the best for my application. Luckily I only have 2 ducks (I just found a great home for their 13 babies they had recently).

IMG_7140.jpg

So, since I initially posted - I actually decided that I'm going to run the existing pump in tandem with the new setup - mainly because of the LED light and fountain feature. Plus, they like standing on it. So, that eliminates my need for those two features on the new setup.

Looking forward to the feedback :)

Reaction score
Also, I've noticed a ton of the random biofilter setups with nearly identical designs but different brand names on Amazon so that makes it even more daunting to choose the best one. I do like how some of them have a rotating handle that moves the filter elements to dislodge the buildup before you backwash.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll be curious to hear how you like the GoPlus filter. I've looked at that one for a supplement to our filtration for a while now and just haven't been willing to commit.

Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing! This one seems to get the best reviews overall though, if I remember correctly.

Yes but the trick to Amazon is I believe they promote the items with the best margins. I always filter reviews by most recent and you'll be surprised how many low ratings there are. The main thing I've read about the canister filters is leakage..

Reaction score
Okay I've officially ordered everything. I ended up going with a Laguna setup (pump and filter) based on watching a ton of videos online. The disassembly and maintanence looks the easiest of them all.

I'll post some pictures when everything is set up and report of the performance.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Newb here. Question for the group:

I'm also planning on building a duck pond (4 lighweight ducks) and have pump design/option questions.

I have a 350 gallon pre-form and plan on creating the following system to deal with the ginormous amount of muck buildup that would occur with ducks:
Pond -->30 gallon swirl filter --> 35 gallon biofilter (free floating K1 media) ---> hydroponic bed #1 (55 gallon side orientation barrel with lava rocks) ---> hydroponic bed #2 ---> 2 to 3 foot waterfall ----> pond

The hydronponic beds would strictly grow plants which I could feed back to the ducks. I'm hoping that this filter system will keep the pond capable of moderately self- cleaning itself but do suspect I may have to drain it once or twice a season to clean it.

So my questions are the following:
1. Any concerns with the following system in terms of efficiency to filter muck?
2. I'm at a loss as to the type of pump I should get. I've read a lot about external pumps which are beneficial due to their lower power needs, more flow, and are much easier to clean and service allowing them to have a longer shelf life. However, external pumps are generally only used for larger ponds and I've never seen anyone discuss them with a duck pond build. There is a tremendous amount of muck and debris that gets stuck to a submersible pump in a duck pond due to the feathers, muck, etc. so having an external pump with a submersible filter box and a large diameter tubing (2") should greatly reduce the clogging of the pump and therefore increase the lifespan of the pump. Thoughts on this logic? What external pump would you suggest I purchase (hopefully $200 or less but if I have to splurge what would be your suggestion)?
3. I'd like to put the pump downstream of the swirl flow filter. A vast majority (90% or more) of the muck would be separated from the water using the swirl flow filter so once again, less muck = less pump problems. Any issue with this?
4. Is it better to put a drain in a pond or just to add a PVC suction tubing that is located at the lowest part of the pond? I've read that by putting in a drain you could have clogging issues, but not sure. Thoughts on this?

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Finally someone who gets the struggle! Ha. I'm still searching for my solution (hence this thread) but I feel that your setup will still have issues.

1. First is you'd need more than lava rocks and bio media to keep the pool water clear. The only thing I've seen that actually keeps the water clean for longer periods of time is the foam media or the cotton type media balls which are used as an alternative to a sand filter. However, depending on the size of the filter/pool will determine the longevity before cleaning of this media is required. With this type of media combined with duck muck, you'll need a really strong pump to push the water through it all continuously (even when dirty)
2. I can't address this point here but with a wider hose, you need a stronger pump. There are charts you can google for hose diameter to gph capability of the pump. Myself, I went with a 1 inch hose as the only thing that would clog the pump are the feathers which will end up in the pump housing or the filter - not the hoses. In other words, I wouldn't worry about the hose diameter in terms of clogging.
3. I have no experience or much knowledge of swirl flow filters but I do have knowledge about duck poop. The only time it settles is when the water isn't being moved much. The second the water is agitated, the water and waste create a cloud which might make this setup inefficient.
4. I always want a drain for the sake of having one. Backwashing features are very helpful for quicker draining but if you are installing/creating everything it is always worth taking the time to put in a good drain. This way also you'll be able to wash out all of the uncollected grit buildup over time.

I'm planning to make a video of my setup once the pump arrives next week - which hopefully this setup is actually efficient as I've tried a sand filter before with no luck (as per another forum recommendation) the thing clogged up within the hour it was ridiculous.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Megamilez,

Thanks for your feedback. Do you have links to the foam media/cotton media balls that you speak above above.

You should really look into swirl flow filters. They can effectively remove a vast majority of the large particles (i.e. duck muck) extremely well. In fact, due to the weight and sedimentation rate of duck poo, large amounts can easily be removed.

See this article here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0144860904001049

Any thoughts on what external pump I should be looking at?

Reaction score
Megamilez,

Thanks for your feedback. Do you have links to the foam media/cotton media balls that you speak above above.

You should really look into swirl flow filters. They can effectively remove a vast majority of the large particles (i.e. duck muck) extremely well. In fact, due to the weight and sedimentation rate of duck poo, large amounts can easily be removed.

See this article here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0144860904001049

Any thoughts on what external pump I should be looking at?

These are the ones that I got: https://amzn.to/2A8brle

The foam media is the ones that are used within a pressurized bio filter - but sheets of it are also available if you wish to put it somewhere within your system.

If duck muck falls into "large particles" than we must be talking on a micron level right? I was thinking large as in grit sizes. Which if thats the case, I will look into it if my new setup isn't efficient enough.

There are a ton of pumps out there which is what led me to join here in hopes to get some direction. I narrowed it down between the Aquascape and Laguna. I ended up going with the Laguna because there was a filter pump combo - and I liked their filter design better.

I went with the 960 model but since these are for normal ponds and your size is 100 gal larger than mine, I'd probably go a step up to the 1350 model: https://amzn.to/2Ycfipl

I can't vouch for the performance of it yet, but I'm sure I'll be impressed considering my current little filter in there has a max gph of 200 lol.

Edit: Oh, you said external... yeah I'm not sure on that - I never considered going that route.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Megamilez,

Much larger than micro with is million times small than a gram. More like gram or milligram sizes which is why thick layers of muck settle on the bottom and peoples pond motor's tend to burn out faster. Microgram/nanogram sizes will either solubilize or move through you filter system since their specific gravity is not much more than water (i.e. they will float).

Thanks for the filter media link. I'm interested to know why you choose this specific media? One of the key benefits of filter media in a heavy organic environment like duck pond water is that they provide an environment for biofilms to attach to, grow which in turn help break down the organic material in the water (duck poo). Would this media do help colonize biofilms or are you just using it to trap particles? If the later, how would the particles be removed from the filter overtime? Would you be pulling out or draining your biofilter container and rinsing it out?

The choice of the Laguna pump/filter is a good choice. I know of another individual building a pond at the moment who is also going with the Laguna pump. This pump was also chosen to be used at this duck pond build link: https://www.tyrantfarms.com/how-to-build-a-backyard-pond-with-diy-biofilter/

Does anyone else here have any reccomendations on external pond pumps?

smithmal

Ask a Question