Duck ponds

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

Wasn't sure where to post this, but thought I'd start here. I have ducks, and I have a fiberglass pond that is just over two feet deep. I've been searching the internet to see how far down my dabbler ducks can reach to see if that is deep enough to have fish and plants in the pond as well. I can build hiding places, but the fish would have to have good night vision as the ducks are in the pond all day. Or? Maybe, I could put chicken wire in to create a false bottom and keep them from reaching the bottom? Has any one tried that? I want to have cleaner fish in the pond to help keep the water nice.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Just once I would like to be able to start out a post without sounding like Mrs. Pessimism.....

As you know, ducks are messy, messy. From what I've read, bird poop and ornamental fish ponds don't go together. Not only just the volume of poop, but the threat of pathogens being introduced to the water would/could be a problem for fish health -- it's hard enough keeping a pond clean with fish alone.

I like that you've come up with some possible solutions! But the issue is more than one of physical separation. For one thing, IMO anything like chicken wire could be harmful to the fish -- they could easily injure themselves and/or get stuck in the wire [I've seen it happen -- they try to go through a hole and get stuck -- mine that tried, didn't survive].

And what do dabbler ducks eat? I would love to see some pictures of them.

My suggestion would be to create a separate pond for fish & plants and keep it netted to keep the ducks out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello M,

Thank you for the greeting, nice to meet you, too.

It is not pessimism if it is true.

I am not striving for an ornamental fish pond; those I keep in the front yard safe from the ducks. I'm trying to figure out how to have some kind of fish/snail/plant in the duck pond that will help keep the pond clean.

Good info on the chicken wire. I suspected as much, but wasn't sure if it had been tried.

What if... I had a sandy bottom for some pond loachs (provided I can find them) then built a "cave" over it, using mesh & river rock over the mesh, so the poop filters down, but the ducks can't reach the bottom?

Part of the problem is depth. What I have is only 2 feet deep. I'd like to find something 3 feet deep, because I don't think they can reach down that far, but where to find one? And if one finds one, how to afford it? I know sea ducks can dive to 65 feet, but these are just Khaki Campbells, and they are too buoyant for that. (Dabbler refers to their eating habits.)

While I can't speak for ornamental koi, I occasionally toss rabbit poop into my planted ponds, which have your basic ten for a dollar gold fish in them, for the benefit of both. Depending on the size of the pond, a little poop is a good thing. One of my ponds has fairy moss on it so thick, the birds use it as watering hole walking on the fairy moss like it were solid ground. I'd be shocked it they waited to fly away before defecating.

I have limited success with planted ponds that are inside the duck yard. I've had to switch substrates, from clay and sand to gravel and river rock. Too early to tell if it'll work. It just might be a cause of it takes longer to destroy.

Thanks for the response. I've been looking for a decent forum. It is nice to know I've found one!

Enjoy!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Gambosia Granny I must have been a dabbler duck in a past life -- when we would SCUBA dive, I needed extra weights just to break the surface, LOL! But that buoyancy could be a good thing if I'm ever in a "drowning" scenario -- all I have to do is relax [IOW, fight the panic], stay calm, and imagine I'm a duck :)

Have you ever thought about digging your own pond and lining it, instead of looking for a pre-fab one? The biggest cost, initially, is the liner, because you don't ever want to scrimp on your liner. And, of course, there is digging the hole.....

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Turtle Mommy,

Well, yes, I have done that. The blackberry roots poked holes in one, and a deer's hoof poked a hole in the other. Not a fan of soft liners. Wish I had a 3000 gal. pond. The one the ducks are is between 150-75 max. I know, I know, way to small, but you use what you got and improvise.

I must have been a dabbler, too. I float in the bathtub. I don't know what I find that amusing, but I do. It's just as well. If I could dive, I would be forever dreaming of scuba diving, and since I can't afford that, it is nice to have another excuse besides poverty! I tried having just an earth pond, but when you are on a steep hill, that just doesn't work out so well. It was small, and the water would drain in about three days, so not much to write home about.

Thanks for responding!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello,

Wasn't sure where to post this, but thought I'd start here. I have ducks, and I have a fiberglass pond that is just over two feet deep. I've been searching the internet to see how far down my dabbler ducks can reach to see if that is deep enough to have fish and plants in the pond as well. I can build hiding places, but the fish would have to have good night vision as the ducks are in the pond all day. Or? Maybe, I could put chicken wire in to create a false bottom and keep them from reaching the bottom? Has any one tried that? I want to have cleaner fish in the pond to help keep the water nice.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!
Hello and welcome to the Forum, and good luck with your Duck pond!:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I think someone mentioned a while back... think of each duck as 10 goldfish. Green water in making.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

If you can do it, check out bend tarp and lining, they are in Oregon (http://www.btlliners.com/). I used ppl36 in my pond, the liner has survived a panicked deer trying to get out of my pond, really digging in with it hooves to get out. It survives the deer walking in the stream during the winter (it does not run during winter) It is some tough stuff. Better tear resistance than epdm.

My pond is on a steep slope (25 degree plus/minus), you need to dig it in and build up a dirt berm on the lower side to make it level.

Ask a Question