Duck weed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I have a problem with duck weed in my 7500ltr pond, has anyone got a solution for me please.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I have a problem with duck weed in my 7500ltr pond, has anyone got a solution for me please.
Somehow I think I missed a welcome to you way back in 2020.

porpoise.gif
@Ian Coates
My goldfish gobble up the duckweed as fast as I can throw it in the pond! If you have a big pond which I noticed in your other post that it is about 1/2 acre, then you can take a net and scoop it out from a small boat but if you miss any it will come right back so you would have to keep netting it out or put fish in their that love it! Do your Grass Carp eat any of it? I would think that if you can get it under control then the Grass Carp should keep it down.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When the pond gets over a certain size the duckweed is such a fast growing plant you'd need an army of koi carp and gold fish to make a dent in it.
At that size the above along we ith an intake vay that draws from the surfac e very shallow intake can help as well but you'll also need something to push the water toward the intake bay. Like fountains or aeration.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Somehow I think I missed a welcome to you way back in 2020.

View attachment 158945 @Ian Coates
My goldfish gobble up the duckweed as fast as I can throw it in the pond! If you have a big pond which I noticed in your other post that it is about 1/2 acre, then you can take a net and scoop it out from a small boat but if you miss any it will come right back so you would have to keep netting it out or put fish in their that love it! Do your Grass Carp eat any of it? I would think that if you can get it under control then the Grass Carp should keep it down.
Hi j.w: I put grass carp in my big pond and they grew from 3/4” to over 10lb in a year and they completely controlled the weed problem.
My problem at the moment is in my little pond (approx 14ft x 5ft) I had 13 goldfish in last year but unfortunately I had otters in and they ate the lot plus 6 common carp in my big pond (up to 20lb).
I’ve only got two small goldfish in my little pond now so I’m taking out duckweed with a net daily ( not easy with liliey pads) and othe plants but it seems the only way. Thanx for your interest and the welcome Ian.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hi j.w: I put grass carp in my big pond and they grew from 3/4” to over 10lb in a year and they completely controlled the weed problem.
My problem at the moment is in my little pond (approx 14ft x 5ft) I had 13 goldfish in last year but unfortunately I had otters in and they ate the lot plus 6 common carp in my big pond (up to 20lb).
I’ve only got two small goldfish in my little pond now so I’m taking out duckweed with a net daily ( not easy with liliey pads) and othe plants but it seems the only way. Thanx for your interest and the welcome Ian.
That's about all you can do unless you put more fish back in there and somehow keep out the predators. Otters tho I would think would be hard to keep out. Might need electric wire or metal net of some sort and it would have to be put in like Fort Knox as those buggers can fit through holes of a certain size:

Certain designs of heavy-duty fencing have worked, usually in conjunction with a powerful electric line (the thick otter pelt gives them some protection from lower powered types)[2]

Ordinary pond cover-nets and heron deterrents are unlikely to have any impact. Wire mesh covers may help, but are of course very unsightly.

Ask a Question