Dump your sump pump knowledge on me

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's a Rainier than usual spring following a wetter than normal winter and one of my downspout drains goes into the hole I'm trying to dig for my bog. Pretty hard to dig accurately and well in 3 or 4 inches of water sitting on top of 3-4 inches of clay slime.

I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to use a sump pump to at least drain out the water, but I'm nervous about the clay mud clogging it up. I guess I could just prop up the pump so it only pumps water.

The thing is, I know almost nothing about sump pumps or even regular pumps. Could you all please share your knowledge? Is there a brand to avoid? Maybe one that's not super expensive but a reliable work horse? Are there different kinds, like magnetic or direct drive with pullies or something? I'd like to get one that I can use for this, as well as for cleaning out my bog once it's built if I ever have to.

I guess I could research but articles on the web are sometimes not as helpful as real-world experience. 🙂

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
TRASH PUMP , BUT YOUR FIRST STEP IS TO BUY A 3" PIPE OR A GUTTER ENTENSION AND A ELBOW OR TWO AND DIRECT THE WATER AWAY FROM THE EXCAVATION. RULE ONE IN CONSTRUCTION CONTROL THE WATER IN AND AROUND THE SITE . YOU CAN NOT COMPACT MUD

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
TRASH PUMP , BUT YOUR FIRST STEP IS TO BUY A 3" PIPE OR A GUTTER ENTENSION AND A ELBOW OR TWO AND DIRECT THE WATER AWAY FROM THE EXCAVATION. RULE ONE IN CONSTRUCTION CONTROL THE WATER IN AND AROUND THE SITE . YOU CAN NOT COMPACT MUD
Good idea. What can you tell me about pumps for the existing water and for cleaning out the bog as well?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Elevate the pump. Get one that says it can handle “thicker” water and solids. As @GBBUDD said, another name for it is a “trash pump,” or a “solids pump.” Might have to do some research as to what brand to buy. I got mine from Harbor Freight.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Elevate the pump. Get one that says it can handle “thicker” water and solids. As @GBBUDD said, another name for it is a “trash pump,” or a “solids pump.” Might have to do some research as to what brand to buy. I got mine from Harbor Freight.
And does your harbor freight one work well? My experience with HF has been "if it has wires or a motor, don't buy it at Harbor Freight" but I have an oscillating multi tool from there that's been great for years and I hear their dust collectors are good too, so maybe sump pumps are an exception as well?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have one that I've used for years to drain ponds and whatever. From Lowe's Superior Model 91250 1/4 hp utility pump. It works well and has a screen. But, I seriously doubt it will pump mud. It has a screen to protect against larger rocks but it does pump small gravel that makes it through the screen. Place it on a couple of bricks and away you go.
Questions: If you redirect the water as @GBBUDD suggests and cover the hole with a tarp during rain how much water really is there to deal with?
Could you 'blast' it out with a leaf blower?
To get a pump that will pump 'sludge' would be very expensive. Really, the only thing I can think of that will do that is a sewage grinder pump and they are costly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have one that I've used for years to drain ponds and whatever. From Lowe's Superior Model 91250 1/4 hp utility pump. It works well and has a screen. But, I seriously doubt it will pump mud. It has a screen to protect against larger rocks but it does pump small gravel that makes it through the screen. Place it on a couple of bricks and away you go.
Questions: If you redirect the water as @GBBUDD suggests and cover the hole with a tarp during rain how much water really is there to deal with?
Could you 'blast' it out with a leaf blower?
To get a pump that will pump 'sludge' would be very expensive. Really, the only thing I can think of that will do that is a sewage grinder pump and they are costly.
Thanks! I don't think I could blow the water out with a leaf blower. I'll look into that model.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The Pond Guy website has the Tsurumi Pond Cleanout Pump, but probably more than what you want to spend as it is $333. Luckily for me the rains started after I put the liner in, and then I was constantly using a small transfer pump as it was ridiculous rain last summer. I noticed in pro videos they use these cleanout pumps, but they are expensive, the pro ones seem to be over $800, only makes sense if you are using it for multiple ponds.
Rain has been constant since I filled the pond in September. Ten inches of rain this month (raining today), averaged about 6 to 12 inches every month since September except for February which was dry, only 2 inches. Crazy how many times I have had to pump out water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Pond Guy website has the Tsurumi Pond Cleanout Pump, but probably more than what you want to spend as it is $333. Luckily for me the rains started after I put the liner in, and then I was constantly using a small transfer pump as it was ridiculous rain last summer. I noticed in pro videos they use these cleanout pumps, but they are expensive, the pro ones seem to be over $800, only makes sense if you are using it for multiple ponds.
Rain has been constant since I filled the pond in September. Ten inches of rain this month (raining today), averaged about 6 to 12 inches every month since September except for February which was dry, only 2 inches. Crazy how many times I have had to pump out water.
Wow, those are both a lot of money and that's a ton of rain!!!

What's a transfer pump? Is that like one of the little submersible ones you'd use in an aquarium?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, those are both a lot of money and that's a ton of rain!!!

What's a transfer pump? Is that like one of the little submersible ones you'd use in an aquarium?
Yes, the rain is ridiculous, but hardly any snow. Weird stuff. Here is the link for the transfer pump at Home Depot. It is small, does the job, the motor is not submersible. Not the fastest thing but it would pump out a couple of inches of water in the pond in about an hour or so.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good idea. What can you tell me about pumps for the existing water and for cleaning out the bog as well?
Again your trash pump is the best bet they can chew up or just push throgh 1/2 objects there abouts

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We've had one of these portable sump pumps for years - works great, dependable, easy to manage, not expensive, used in all kinds of dirty, mucky, gravelly situations. Never a problem. When I say years I mean like 35 years - still going strong. It's made so many pond and garden projects so much easier.

Ask a Question