Easiest Fish

Reaction score
I added a plant once that had goldfish eggs on it which hatched...just saying. Also when I was told by wife not to buy Koi that some "goldfish" I purchased turned out to have been "mislabeled". Stuff happens.

Reaction score
I was working on my pond-away-from pond at the ag center one day when one of my cohorts exclaims "Oh! Look! we have tadpoles!". I looked her over to figure out what she was imbibing. The extension office pond is loaded full of gambusia, they take care of any eggs before they turn to tadpoles. She thought the gambusia were tadpoles. There you go. Buy a big bunch of some kind of floating plant in the spring, and a wad of schooling fish and presto! Tadpoles!

Seriously though, you might have better luck with small minnow type fish that pack in really big schools. No way to see them individually when they are in big schools. But the fun factor is still there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Comets and shubunkins are the easiest to care for. They don't need a lot of attention. For low maintenance don't add too many fish and there won't be much to do except to relax and enjoy your pond!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Shubunkins can have such beautiful colors too!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Love all of your suggestions! I must confess I told Cathy about your posts. She especially like J.W.'s feeder fish rescue and the catfish plan. She's lauged and appreciated each. Maybe, just maybe she will change her mind! With life being so tense at the moment for us this "Easiest Fish" post has been quite uplifting. Thank you brothers and sisters. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We can send you plants with some innocent eggs attached to them in the spring................You need plants for your pond don't you?

Reaction score
yes my vote goes with goldfish and shubumkins, i feed my fish, but ive never done any water tests etc etc for well over a year now and my fish are happy as hell, never had a problem, sometimes i miss feeding them for a few days when weather is cooler but they dont come to any harm, could basically forget about them and they will still strive !

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep the butt wigglers are the cutest and easy to take of and so much fun to watch .I love my little butt wigglers .Plus it seems they grow slower and don't hardly ever have babies .I thought I had 2 this year but have not seen them and have had them for 8 years .

Reaction score
I was wondering if you've had babies from them yet sissy? Mine haven't spawned yet either, idk if its not having the right spawning material maybe? Guess ill look into that, would like to see some baby wiggle butts next year :D

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think I have them but not sure they made it past the aggie and bert eating stage .I am hoping they are just hiding away .I thought they were butt wigglers because of the plump shape of the bodies I saw .I moved the rock tunnel I had on one of my ledges and they came darting out and only got a quick look before they disapeared . I guess I won't know for sure until they get bigger, if it was them .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Fishy, the issue of "butt wigglers" (fantail goldfish of all sorts) has been a discussion here many times, so far I've not heard of ANYONE that has had any babies. They HAVE to have babies, but Lou, if you are looking for pretty (they come in all colors - orange, orange and white, black/orange/white and all types, too!!!), and something that will not multiply, and love to be pampers, and very friendly, I vote for the fantail goldfish. Granted, you will have to buy them, but Santa could bring you a couple for Christmas maybe?! They are cheap if you buy the small ones, which is what I do, as I love to watch them grow. My fantails tend to be more "workers" as far as cleaning things, working on the bottom, etc. than the other Comets and Shubunkins I have. Just saying .... Good luck! I think you should definitely keep letting Cathy know we are not trying to encumber you with work or cost, just something pretty and playful for your enjoyment in your pond!
BTW, how did you lose your fish previously? I don't remember, was it predator or water quality or what? One more point, I think some of the fancier fantails are not as winter hardy if your pond freezes. I have several of the regular fantails (some short tailed, most long flowing tails) and they all did fine last winter. Bought some small ones this summer, will see how they do, but sure don't notice them slow down at all when the water temps got down to 40 earlier this month!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have fancy tail one and it does fine here so guessing he would be safe but not sure they could take really cold weather .

Ask a Question