Easiest way to catch koi

Reaction score
I have a lot of baby koi in a seperate pond. What is the easiest way to catch them without stressing them out? Do I need to wait a certain amount of time before trying again? I am rehoming them and need to be able to corral them for viewing

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Seine net works well. You need 2 people to corral them up tho. Then you can just reach in w/ a hand net and just scoop the ones out. If tiny koi tho might just fit through the holes on a seine net unless you make sure it has smaller holes than your littlest koi.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
IMO..the easiest way to catch koi,or goldfish, no matter the size. is to remove the water from the pond theyre in. in your case pump some of the water into the "viewing pond" from the pond theyre in. putting them into the same water they came from can help reduce stress. i breed, and sell koi on a small scale so i do this every year. plus i winter my fish in an 800 gal pond in my basement. so i catch ,and transfer fish between ponds far more than most people. in my small hatchery tub and fry pond. i use a 1 and a 5 gal bucket with a screen stretched over the mouths, to remove water, even for water changes to keep fry from being accidentally sucked in with the water when dipped in for filling.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I was talking about small water changes...250 gal fry pond...10% water change is 25 gals..or 5 5gal buckets... for moving fish..i pump out the water. using a prefilter to keep any fry from getting sucked in... i pump water from one pond to the other.,

Ask a Question