Easiest Fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
What did the expert say when he told you to destroy all the remaining koi and goldfish Lou .it seems strange that a profesional would give in like that .
Knowing the former head of the British Koi Keepers Society 's Koi Health Forum he would try his hardest to turn things around as would all of his officers who are all truely profesional in what they do.
In our veiw koi are the easiest fish to look after lol
rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
What did the expert say when he told you to destroy all the remaining koi and goldfish Lou .it seems strange that a profesional would give in like that .
Knowing the former head of the British Koi Keepers Society 's Koi Health Forum he would try his hardest to turn things around as would all of his officers who are all truely profesional in what they do.
In our veiw koi are the easiest fish to look after lol
rgrds

Dave

A fish biologist from the local office of our states fish & game agency came over and autopsied two Koi and one White Fantail. Each of these had the full same systems, swollen with large eruptions. The biologist then put down a healthy looking large Goldie. He told us all fish had the same contagious internal infection that culimated in the very large external eruptions. The infection passed from fish to fish throughout the pond. Timing of the plague was fast and would be 100% fatal. At the time of the autopsies about twentyfive fish were dead. Within another hour about five more succumed. Due to the findings and recommendations of the fish biologist we made our decision. It is important to note that we had given about ten extra fish to our pet shop owner friend. Those ten infected the other fish in his holding tank. He lost a total of fifteen fish.

After the plague our pond was drained, washed and dissenfected three times. No signs of harmful bacteria was discovered after the cleaning cycles. We never restocked our pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
So sorry to hear that Lou did they put a name to this I'd like to read up on it if thats possible ?
I've a feeling it may be in the book we got sent from Canada for Xmas last year "The Fundamentals of Ornamental Fish Health ISBN 9780813814018 Author Helen E Roberts, I would also hazzaed a guess it was Viral ?
Something like that happening to us would probaly knock us ten left, why because weve built up our collection over many years and two of our koi have been with us 26 years now and are looked on as Pets, but after draining the pond and disinfecting it we would have gone straight back to our love of koi and restock .
It's such a shame that you didnt restock where you affraid of a re-occurance ? .
Did they trace where this problem came from i:e which breeder and dealer and did you get any recompence from them because of this happening.
I would it seems koi and goldfish were your firm favorites if your going to restock stick with what you know , make sure you Qt anyfish for a month before adding them to your pond and I really cant see you going wrong, we wish you best of luck whatever your choice should you restock

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
So sorry to hear that Lou did they put a name to this I'd like to read up on it if thats possible ?
I've a feeling it may be in the book we got sent from Canada for Xmas last year "The Fundamentals of Ornamental Fish Health ISBN 9780813814018 Author Helen E Roberts, I would also hazzaed a guess it was Viral ?
Something like that happening to us would probaly knock us ten left, why because weve built up our collection over many years and two of our koi have been with us 26 years now and are looked on as Pets, but after draining the pond and disinfecting it we would have gone straight back to our love of koi and restock .
It's such a shame that you didnt restock where you affraid of a re-occurance ? .
Did they trace where this problem came from i:e which breeder and dealer and did you get any recompence from them because of this happening.
I would it seems koi and goldfish were your firm favorites if your going to restock stick with what you know , make sure you Qt anyfish for a month before adding them to your pond and I really cant see you going wrong, we wish you best of luck whatever your choice should you restock

rgrds

Dave
Wow what are the chances that would happen? Did the biologist say? Or how they may have Come in contact with this infection? Or even what is was?! Kinda scary :huh:

Thanks folks. I do remember the biologist saying it was viral. The pet shop owner may remember the diagnosis. Will give him a call next week. Cathy and I cried so much that day. Those fish were our pets so losing them was so heartbreaking. We were and are so afraid of losing more fish has prevented us from restocking. My dear worries so much about my health so I believe this transferred to our loss of our fish. We love our pond since it is such a tranquil retreat.

Ask a Question