Easiest Fish

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Never say never I guess. I may try convincing wifey that putting a couple of fish in the pond would not lead to our past disaster. Here is where you lot come into the picture.

Please tell me the "best" fish to put in our pond. In this sense "best" means:

- inexpensive
- requires minimal care
- produces minimal waste
- hardy
- low breeding
- low cost to feed
- colorful
- will not grow up and eat us!

" L "

Reaction score
Hahaha! Lou you're a hoot!! I knew after you were drawn in by our bubbly personalities, you would get the fishy itch again!! I'm so glad you have! You know I find the the fancytails i.e. Ryunkins, fantails, there is even one they call a panda fancytail - very friendly and funny little wiggle butt fishes!! :) they get about 3-4 inches long, sometimes a bit bigger, with fat little bellies. I feed the smallest ones flakes ( there mouths are too small for pellets ). But always put out the pellets for the bigger ones first, keeps them busy while you feed the flakes to the smaller ones. Lol Although, someone has told me the make a tiny pellet, but I've not found them here. Good luck picking

Reaction score
Rosy Reds and Sailfin Mollies. Though, I have to admit I'm wanting some Ryukin or Watonai. Actually like the the looks of the Watonia more.

Reaction score
Well, they are native from North Carolina to Texas. How different is your pond from North Carolina wild ponds? Guess that's the question. I'm going to add some this spring, think they will be fun to have around.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I come back to you with my head held low. My well planned out discussion with my dearest was over immediately after I got out the phrase "fish in pond". After being broken hearted over the hugh fish loss years back Cathy will never change her mind. It was one of the saddest days in our lives. Probably for the best. Thanks for the suggestions. ;-(

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Big Lou, Throw a channel cat in the pond. REALLY cheap, could even be free if caught. Can handle the rocks really well. Handles heat and cold, get friendly AND once they get about two pounds MOST predators won't mess with them. Just one will add something swimming and it can't breed back to itself. They also do very well when kept alone and even get tamer when they interact with humans. Madtom cats do really well too and don't get to be but about 3# max.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I really think goldfish are easy to take care of ,seems no fuss no muss to me

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Now don't give up that easy on her " L" as look back at your first post on this thread "Never say Never"!
You could always go to your pet store and rescue some of those poor little feeder goldfish destined to be eaten by some other creature pet in someones home. Tell your wife you are at least giving the poor little buggers a fighting chance at life. If they somehow don't make it at least they get to spend some nice quality life times living in your nice pond and if you don't feed them or just do it now and then they won't over populate and they always find enough food in the pond to survive. That's how I started my pond I have now w/ 12 little feeder fish. I've added to the group some of the oj/white and pure white and shubunkin goldfish and I still only have about 50 or 60 fish after 12 yrs and I didn't feed the first ones for several yrs. Then I started feeding them now and then so they'd get more friendly w/ me. They love to make you think they are starving to death :razz:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Vote for goldfish, with bugs etc they can almost totally live on their own, they do need water.

Ask a Question