Economical Very Good Pump & Filter

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Our DIY pond is pretty low tech comparatively in that we use only a in-water pump and out of pond filter. After determing the previous pump and filter needed to be replaced I sought out effective, efficient, economical and high quality replacements. Yes, I wanted my cake and eat it too. :).

All of the following was obtained from Doctors Foster and Smith. Com

Tetra Pond Debris Handling Pump. Model DHP4200
$199.99
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5164+20126&pcatid=20126

TetraPond Bio-Active Pressure Filter. Model 2500
$179.99
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=20057&rel=1

Foster and Smith provided a large selction along with fast and thorough customer service. Highly recommended.

Reaction score
You can get the DHP4200 cheaper at Amazon, $193. Or Ebay $177. Free shipping in both cases. At Foster and Smith you're paying a little extra for the marketing imo. Nothing wrong with that, just saying if you're cost comparing it pays to widen the search.

I'm not big on Tetra only because I think they use misleading marketing. Like saying the DHP4200 is "Debris Handling". It will handle 1/4" stuff. That's good, right? Sure, until you realize most every pump will handle 3/8" stuff...that's bigger. The Tetra "Debris Handling" pump is worst at "Debris Handling" than most normal pumps. To me that's dishonest> Then I have to wonder what else they're "being creative" about and so I just skip them. Plenty of less "creative" companies out there.

The DHP4200 is speced at 232 watts while something like the Laguna MaxFlo 4280 is 160 watts and moves a little bit more water. Costs a bit more at $250, but cheaper after 18 months of use if your electric is 5 cent kWh. Electric use does vary depending on head and other things. Very hard to compare. I just use published data. I'm not pushing the Laguna, it just happened to be the first pump I found to compare. Point is if you're wanting to compare costs there's more than initial price.

Pressurized filters...I don't see the point...at all.

Ask a Question