Education on Algae

GreatDanesDad

Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Ok i have "finished" my pond. Don't know if anything is every really finished, but the heavy lifting is done. I have had fish in the pond now for a month. They appear to be doing great. 8 babys under 4 inches long. They have doubled in size in a month from the 2in babies I bought! And I have two 24+ inch butterfly Koi. 2100 gallons total in the pond. 3000gph pump pushing over a 2 waterfalls in parallel. 200gph uv pump/fountain. 55gallon barrel full of media with a reverse gravity filter made at home. A few plants. and many clams and snalls.

I have been very happy with the amonia levels and the ph levels. I origionally added bene bacteria and they seem to have taken hold in my filter based on my low to zero amonia levels.

So now the question of Algae. All the surfaces of the pond are growing Algae. I assumed this would happen, but I dont know what to expect being so new to the game. You can fill a glass container and the water is clear as day, but the water has a green look to it, because you can can see right down to the green bottom and walls. I am content with this if it is "normal" (I understand there is no real normal). Should I be concerned about the algae growing on the walls and bottom? People say "green water" are they talking about the green tint due to stationary algae or only about blooms that are floating in the water.

Below is the video of my pond. I am so happy with it. Comments and suggestions are very welcome.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
You will soon discover that forum members have varying views regarding algae control. Personally, I use a fish safe and plant safe Algaeside. If you choose to use such a product it is imperative that you read and follow all precautions and instructions. It has been 100% effective in my pond this year. Yesterday I noticed an area of new algae so I will be out there tomorrow putting in a dose of Algaeside. Always act on the side of caution. My words are not meant to scare you. Just the opposite. You are now caring for beautiful fish in a life giving environment. The better you care for the needs of that environment ensures success.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
As long as you are happy take no action.

Suspended algae works to improve water quality in that it consumes ammonia and nitrites. So from the fish's point of view it is a good thing. Green water algae can be killed off with UV or chemicals as Big Lou said above. With new ponds green water may be carrying a significant part of the bio load, supplementing the bio filter. So I would not be to quick to kill off the green water unless I was very sure the bio filter was fully cycled.

Personally I think trying to remove algae from a liner is fussy and unreasonable. Does it really look any worse then the liner? Give nature a break and let her have her way in this case. Only a suggestion.

I do like your pond and fish :)

GreatDanesDad

Reaction score
I agree that I dont want to make any chemical changes untill I feel that my filter is more mature. I understand how volital a new enviornment can be. After installing my liner, I was very disapointed with how it looked, and decided to lay flagstone throughout the pond to give it a look i like. I did know i would get some algae and wouldnt see all the stone but I would like to keep some of the stone look, and I am very fearful of the algae on the bottom and the walls getting thick and causing other problems. I keep hearing "sludge" and to get rid of the algae often as to not create a large amount of dead algae material in the bottom when you do finally do something about it.

I am comforatable with using algaecide, but is there any affect on the bene bacteria in the filter? Does the algae on the walls and the bottom help with the bio load as well as the suppended?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I will defer to Big Lou on using algaecide.

It is going to be an endless battle to keep the bottom clean enough to see the stone. The plants and fish are the main attraction. In time most people come to accept that a pond bottom looks like a pond bottom.

​Not to worry. I do not think dead algae is a major contributor to pond sludge. If you want to be sludge free you can vac it off the bottom with a pond vac or a wet/dry shop vac.

If you are like most people you will learn from this pond and start plans for expansion or a new bigger better version. Think of it as your starter pond. :) Most of us have gone that route.

Reaction score
I really like your pond for the fact it is different then most. I'm not worried about your algae at this point, would wait and see how it is in a couple of months once the pond has had a chance to cycle.

I do however have some concerns, not written in any order ...

1. Flagstone tends to have sharp edges. While we train our koi to come to the surface, they spend a fair amount of time on the bottom, and worry about the potential risk for injury.

2. Pay close attention to your ammonia/nitrites, weekly, for the next year or two during the warmer months. Your filters will let you know, but using basic formulas, as your koi grow, you may find that you are already overstocked.

3. I really like the look of the stained landscape timbers, but worry about possible leaching ...

GreatDanesDad

Reaction score
capewind said:
I really like your pond for the fact it is different then most. I'm not worried about your algae at this point, would wait and see how it is in a couple of months once the pond has had a chance to cycle.

I do however have some concerns, not written in any order ...
Well Thank you, I was really trying for something different and something that would last for many years to come. And in regards to the algae
I hope you’re correct, because that is my plan. As with most things, they change slowly and big quick changes are usually more problematic than normal.

capewind said:
1. Flagstone tends to have sharp edges. While we train our koi to come to the surface, they spend a fair amount of time on the bottom, and worry about the potential risk for injury.
I see the concern, I had a lot a time to plan the pond and wasn't rushed in the construction of the surfaces that the fish may come into contact with. I spent many days working to assure there are no sharp edges in the bottom or sides of the pond. However there are some surfaces out of the water that are not so tidy as to give it a little more rustic look.
capewind said:
2. Pay close attention to your ammonia/nitrites, weekly, for the next year or two during the warmer months. Your filters will let you know, but using basic formulas, as your koi grow, you may find that you are already overstocked.
This is my first pond, and had a slightly smaller water capacity than I had hoped after it was all said and done, but I tried to follow a rule of thumb I had read many times on the site of one inch of fish per every 10 gallons of water. Meaning in my 2100 gallon pond has the potential to house 210 inches of fish or ten fish at 21 inches per fish. My plan was to start with approximately 20% of that and allow the other 80% to happen as fish grow, rather than adding fish.
Also I understand that there are other major factors that play into this. Filtration being one of the main ones. Following other advice, my pump runs 150% of the water every hour. Also the filter its self is a 55 gallon drum with many different filter media and is setup for easy regular cleanings. I am hoping that by following the advice of others like yourself in the planning stages that, my pond will house the wonderful little guys that are currently occupying it for years to come.

capewind said:
3. I really like the look of the stained landscape timbers, but worry about possible leaching ...
I have to admit that leaching from my timbers has never crossed my mind. The color was applied before I purchased the wood, and out of annoyance that touching them cause the color to rub off on your hands and clothes, I treated them with a clear weather treatment before building the structure around the pond. As the treatment is designed to keep rain out, I am hoping that it will also keep the color in. But in the spirit of building a pond that should last years, I made a point to keep the wood away from the water at least 6 inches. This was by design to keep from having to replace the timbers down the road. I imagine that would reduce any opportunity for leaching as well as being in the heat of the Arizona Dessert where things dry out so quickly.

Reaction score
GreatDanesDad said:
Well Thank you, I was really trying for something different and something that would last for many years to come.
I think you succeeded in your goal:)

GreatDanesDad said:
And in regards to the algae
I hope you’re correct, because that is my plan.
SOME algae in the pond is a good thing, or atleast in my opinion.

GreatDanesDad said:
This is my first pond, and had a slightly smaller water capacity than I had hoped after it was all said and done, but I tried to follow a rule of thumb I had read many times on the site of one inch of fish per every 10 gallons of water. Meaning in my 2100 gallon pond has the potential to house 210 inches of fish or ten fish at 21 inches per fish.
That is a common formula, but 21" is just a made up number. When using any formula, factor the fish at their maximum growth potential. I am really bad aboout pushing this envelope myself, and make more work for hubby because of it. I use a formula as 1000 gallons to have ONE koi, and then an additional 200-300 gallons for each additional koi as a minumum water volume requirement.

GreatDanesDad said:
Filtration being one of the main ones.
It absolutely is, BUT you also have to consider stress level that can be caused by crowding, and reproduction. Hubby is finishing up a pond install this week. I need to do the calcs, as there are bog areas as well (about 45 sq ft surface area in total), but guessing this pond to be a bit larger than 2000 gallons. It's built with a 20x20 liner. The client already has about 8 large comets (about 8" who are about 10 yrs old, and hopefully done breeding LOL), and I told her yesterday, NO MORE FISH for at least two months while the pond cycles, and then she can have four Koi (which I will give her, as we have some really nice babies I bought in a group to grow out, that are prettier than what's available locally, and know are healthy since I've had them in QT since December) ... Spacewise, I just cant see more fish than this (with allowing the koi to become full grown) without risking crowding stress ... The filtration will handle the load no problem ... It's a 100 gallon skippy with a 25 watt Emperor Aquatics Smart UV, not to mention the addition of hungry plants.

GreatDanesDad said:
Following other advice, my pump runs 150% of the water every hour. Also the filter its self is a 55 gallon drum with many different filter media and is setup for easy regular cleanings. I am hoping that by following the advice of others like yourself in the planning stages that, my pond will house the wonderful little guys that are currently occupying it for years to come.
I think you will be okay, as long as you dont add more fish. Still risky IMHO, but the babies will grow up with the same fish, so may not be an issue later, but it is still an area to be concerned with when you see another really pretty fish that you want to bring home;-) Trust me, hubby has had to build more for my ummm, what's one more, view LOL. My latest "one more" was actually 113 babies (the plan from the start was only to keep a few, and place the rest LOL)

GreatDanesDad said:
I have to admit that leaching from my timbers has never crossed my mind. The color was applied before I purchased the wood, and out of annoyance that touching them cause the color to rub off on your hands and clothes, I treated them with a clear weather treatment before building the structure around the pond. As the treatment is designed to keep rain out, I am hoping that it will also keep the color in. But in the spirit of building a pond that should last years, I made a point to keep the wood away from the water at least 6 inches. This was by design to keep from having to replace the timbers down the road. I imagine that would reduce any opportunity for leaching as well as being in the heat of the Arizona Dessert where things dry out so quickly.
Sealed, that shouldnt be a problem. That issue jumped out at me, as the next pond going in requires a bridge to get to the existing, and I want to be able to stain or paint it ... I dont want the natural gray weathered look LOL.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
During the treatment period and until the chemicals completely dissipate water flowing through any filter will contain the algaeside. At thi moment I do not know its impact on other bacteria.

I overlooked the possible contamination from your colored timber. The water sealer you applied does not water proof the wood. The sealer will not prevent the wood from leaching. The applied sealer is not permanent. To be honest, I would advise you to seek additional information about your timbers coatings.

Ask a Question