ELECTRICAL CONSIDERATIONS -- 2

Reaction score
jneg, not sure why you provided a link to a GFI breaker? That doesn't protect a whole house, just a single circuit, like to the bathroom outlets.

Grounding rods to not have to be tied into the house. Their only purpose is to give shorts a good path so all of sudden the current shoots way up which any breaker can detect.

I've never said that these covered the whole house and if you read my reply I said that. I said that I've seen circuit breakers with GFCIs integrated and the places where I saw them used they where used to cover only bed rooms.

We use the same NEC code as in the States always the latest edition (2011). I use the titanium probe inside aquariums and in my pond, it is made from Ti just because of that. I don't know what the big deal is, I have had many shocks provided by faulty lighting wiring, bad pumps, heaters in bad conditions in aquariums. I know that it is not the best thing but if I am going to put a hand inside water that I don't know if there is a stray current flowing I prefer to have it than get a small shock. BTW I didn't consider wiring and everything else as equipment, if you go that way then its ok by me.

We are all saying the same basic thing, that we need to protect ourselves with GFCI in our ponds.

Reaction score
I've never said that these covered the whole house and if you read my reply I said that. I said that I've seen circuit breakers with GFCIs integrated and the places where I saw them used they where used to cover only bed rooms.

We use the same NEC code as in the States always the latest edition (2011). I use the titanium probe inside aquariums and in my pond, it is made from Ti just because of that. I don't know what the big deal is, I have had many shocks provided by faulty lighting wiring, bad pumps, heaters in bad conditions in aquariums. I know that it is not the best thing but if I am going to put a hand inside water that I don't know if there is a stray current flowing I prefer to have it than get a small shock. BTW I didn't consider wiring and everything else as equipment, if you go that way then its ok by me.

We are all saying the same basic thing, that we need to protect ourselves with GFCI in our ponds.

Jneg,

I just (still) don't undersand the titanium rod. I have just never heard of that before. Why Titanium? I can possibly imagine why you might not want to use copper, in a pond, tank or aquarium, maybe. But isn't titanium exremely expensive, too? Isn't it a poorer conductor? Is there an advantage to it that I am not aware of?

How is the rod installed?

Pardon me, but I am just in the dark on this one, it is totally new to me.

Gordy

Reaction score
Titanium is non-corrosive. Copper ions can be a problem for aquariums, especially saltwater. These probes even use stainless steel wire instead of copper. I think the main deal is if you're a manufacturer why have any copper, could lose sales.

Normally these are a permanent install, so corrosion is an issue.

Titanium is a way worse conductor than copper, but still gets the job done, less than 25 ohms. If conductivity were the only consideration then silver would be used, but corrosion in this case is more important.

Pretty simple install, plug it into a grounded wall outlet, drop the rod into the tank. Done. Some only have a eye connector, you use the screw on the outlet face plate to connect. But for temp uses like people you clean other peoples tanks the plug is easier.

Ask a Question