ELECTRICAL CONSIDERATIONS

Reaction score
Gordy,

Do you happen to have the NEC section for that says every outlet has to be a GFI type outlet. I was taught as Mark stated and I've never had an inspector have a problem. Not that either of that makes me right, so I'd like to read the section. Also, GFI outlets come with "GFI protected" stickers for the downstream outlets, not that NEC requires them.

Also, good to read your take on permits. Thought I was the only person on the planet.

For readers new to electrical...the terms GFI and GFCI are the same things. It would be too simple otherwise.

Reaction score
Gordy,

Do you happen to have the NEC section for that says every outlet has to be a GFI type outlet. I was taught as Mark stated and I've never had an inspector have a problem. Not that either of that makes me right, so I'd like to read the section. Also, GFI outlets come with "GFI protected" stickers for the downstream outlets, not that NEC requires them.

Also, good to read your take on permits. Thought I was the only person on the planet.

For readers new to electrical...the terms GFI and GFCI are the same things. It would be too simple otherwise.

Waterbug,

I could not find this in the NEC code book, but I didn't have a lot of time to research it thoroughly yet. Therefore, I cannot say that it is actually an NEC ruling or where it is discussed.

I was once informed (just informed mind you - I didn't read it for myself) that according to NEC code that every outlet in a bathroom or shower area and a kitchen near the waterworks had to be its own GFCI circuit. The person who mentioned this to me was not an inspecter, just an electrician and he was not speaking about outdoor outlets, so I don't know if that applies the same. It also was a long time ago, so rules may have changed with the new devices available. It just sounded logical and I assumed that it was fact.

Also, I do not work with NEC code for residential housing concerns (I work in industry related electronics and electrical). So, I do not read the NEC code book frequently or take the licensing exams. It (the NEC code) does not apply to me specifically in my job as I am more of an electronics repairman opposed to an electrician setting up the wiring.

I would be suprised if it is not contained within the NEC code, personally. They always seem to be "ultra-safe" on every issue and concern. In my own logic, it makes better sense if each outlet was individually protected with GFCI, but it is true that each simple circuit can be safe with just one GFCI "monitoring" station. Knowing how these devices work makes me feel safe. However, my concern would be, and this is my personal take on it, how would you know that the circuit is truly protected? Unless it is labeled as such or you installed it yourself?

I trust the GFCI devices implicitly, but I wouldn't trust an assumption that just any outlet is protected simply because it "appears" to be downstream (electrically speaking) from a GFCI protection device or even that it has a sticker applied to it. Personally, I would like to look at an outlet, see that it is a GFCI device, be able to test it on the spot and reset it, before I would trust it. I am overly cautious when it comes to electricity, because I have witnessed what power it holds. Many people take their electricity for granted, because they just think it comes from a switch on the wall that they have touched and played with and flipped up and down all their lives. They don't realize how much power is really in there.

FYI, for those reading who do not know what we are referring to exactly, here is an explanation of how a GFCI or GFI circuit protection device operates:

The GFCI monitors the current coming in on the HOT lead (supposed to be a black wire) and the current returning from the load circuit on the NEUTRAL lead (white or sometimes red wire).
If there is an imbalance in these two currents that is greater than 4 milliamps - 6 milliamps, the protection device trips and shuts off all current to that circuit within 15-25 milliseconds.
This protects people from electrical hazards that could shock, burn or kill you.

CB's or Circuit Breakers on the other hand, monitor a large overage of current on a specific circuit. A 10 amp circuit breaker trips out and shuts off that circuit if more than 10 amps flow through it for a long enough time to heat up a mechanism and cause a spring tensioned device to "snap" and detach the circuit feed line. CB's protect equipment from overloads, but will NOT protect people from shock. You would be electrocuted before a typical circuit breaker would trip out and shut the power off.

Gordy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My honey is an electrician, he wisely does not let me, nor do I want to, mess with any of the wiring. Saying that..........our pond pump is still on a long, very thick extension cord plugged into a gfi outlet. I told him the one thing I want done is the wiring finished before snow falls........

Reaction score
Gordy,

My guess is there's been a miscommunication between you and the electrician that told you this. Section 210.8 doesn't say anything about every outlet being a GFI device, only that it be GFI protected. There could be another section, or maybe local code, that does define what you described but I'd be surprised because generally they're pretty good at keeping that kind of stuff together.

I wouldn't be surprised if an inspector failed an installation that used a GFI device for every outlet. Part of the code says a GFI be able to be tested monthly. So making every outlet GFI would deter people from doing this since they would have to test 10 or 20 outlets instead of 2 or 3. The new 2011 code made this a bit more clear adding the GFI device must be "installed at a readily accessible place". So for protected outlets on say the roof you couldn't put a GFI device on the roof, it has to be upstream from that outlet where it can be gotten to easily.

Your concern about wanting to see a GFI device in the outlet is understandable but handled with the stickers. It's easy enough to test the outlets yourself if you don't trust the stickers or apply stickers yourself. In new homes there aren't any GFI outlets because GFI breakers are used. So GFI outlets are kind of going away (maybe in 100 years).

Ask another electrician and maybe they can bump our that earlier encounter.

Reaction score
Addy, "The cobbler's children go unshod." I have a light switch we use everyday just dangling from the Romex...all I have to do is drive 2 nails to fix it. And the light switch is right next to my work bench, 2' from my hammer, 4' from the nails. OK, today I'll fix it now that I've shamed myself...no really, today.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I make a list and I cannot stand looking at so I do a few things a day as I can't stand things that need done .I look at something and it has to get done .I wonder why people leave things undone as it will only get worse .I guess I have a problem .LOL

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
waterbug,
the electrician I had wire mine said that the circuit just needed on GFI on it to protect all the outlets. I have my pond outlets on their own separate line. The GFI is in the garage (1st outlet from the box on the circuit) and then goes outside from there. Everything is run on 12-2 wire with a 20 amp breaker in the box, but 15 amp outlets.

Reaction score
Nathan, not sure if you were asking, but that's a correct setup. The outlets after the GFI are protected in exactly the same way as an extension cord would be if plugged into the GFI.

The 15 amp outlets are fine because they're designed to handle a 20 amps. I think it would have been less confusing if they were called 15/20 amp outlets.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I make a list and I cannot stand looking at so I do a few things a day as I can't stand things that need done .I look at something and it has to get done .I wonder why people leave things undone as it will only get worse .I guess I have a problem .LOL

me too sissy, the only things undone are the, he asked me to not touch them things, ow done or being done.

Reaction score
Gordy,

My guess is there's been a miscommunication between you and the electrician that told you this. Section 210.8 doesn't say anything about every outlet being a GFI device, only that it be GFI protected. There could be another section, or maybe local code, that does define what you described but I'd be surprised because generally they're pretty good at keeping that kind of stuff together.

I wouldn't be surprised if an inspector failed an installation that used a GFI device for every outlet. Part of the code says a GFI be able to be tested monthly. So making every outlet GFI would deter people from doing this since they would have to test 10 or 20 outlets instead of 2 or 3. The new 2011 code made this a bit more clear adding the GFI device must be "installed at a readily accessible place". So for protected outlets on say the roof you couldn't put a GFI device on the roof, it has to be upstream from that outlet where it can be gotten to easily.

Your concern about wanting to see a GFI device in the outlet is understandable but handled with the stickers. It's easy enough to test the outlets yourself if you don't trust the stickers or apply stickers yourself. In new homes there aren't any GFI outlets because GFI breakers are used. So GFI outlets are kind of going away (maybe in 100 years).

Ask another electrician and maybe they can bump our that earlier encounter.

That all sounds quite reasonable to me. These devices are not inexpensive, so it is a welcome bit of information in my eyes. I was going to build a shower house for my cabin and if I can wire everything up with just one GFCI device and protect every outlet, then I will save quite a bit of money.... HOT DOG! :)

Absolutely, if I were going to install four, five or six or more outlets in my shower house, that could rack up a pretty good bill if each outlet was required to be a GFCI device. If I can get by with one device for the whole circuit, that would be cost effective for me. I will, of course, always read it first hand and consult the electrical inpsector for the local codes before I have any work done. I don't mind spending a bit of $ to make everything right from the very start. And I would rather err on the side of caution rather than skimp and sacrifice on safety measures.

Gordy

Reaction score
Addy, "The cobbler's children go unshod." I have a light switch we use everyday just dangling from the Romex...all I have to do is drive 2 nails to fix it. And the light switch is right next to my work bench, 2' from my hammer, 4' from the nails. OK, today I'll fix it now that I've shamed myself...no really, today.

Waterbug,

I know you were talking to Addy with this one, but I have to tell you how much I enjoy it, too! I am not a procrastinator in any sense, but there are so many things to be done that, I think, we all end up with one of these little unfinished pieces at some point in time. Sometimes they hang there for months or more and they just gnaw at you until you finally have to break down and do something about it. Often, I just go fishing. Ha Ha!

Gordy

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Waterbug,

I know you were talking to Addy with this one, but I have to tell you how much I enjoy it, too! I am not a procrastinator in any sense, but there are so many things to be done that, I think, we all end up with one of these little unfinished pieces at some point in time. Sometimes they hang there for months or more and they just gnaw at you until you finally have to break down and do something about it. Often, I just go fishing. Ha Ha!

Gordy

I get some things done that he doesn't want me to do by saying time is up, i am going to do it soon. Next thing I know it is getting done. Now he does work full time, so there is some consideration for that..........lol

Ask a Question