Elevated Bog Pond

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I picked up this PondMax in-pond skimmer, thinking it would help with leaves and such, but a submersible pump is so much simpler. Due to the way my pond is constructed I don’t want to put a skimmer on the side.

I could return it to my Local Pond Shop and use the credit toward a pump. Is it worth keeping?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think someone posted about one at some time. I think they said it did ok.

But wait and see if anybody else recalls or uses one.

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I think it will do its job, although the basket for debris is much smaller than a fixed skimmer. Currently, the pond doesn’t seem to get much debris in it, but in fall there is a crepe myrtle that will dump a ton of leaves. I would have to be very diligent about clearing the basket so the pump doesn’t get choked off.

I suppose this skimmer is better than none, otherwise those leaves will just end up on the bottom and make sludge. I’m not crazy about having a 4” black vortex in the middle of the water, since it’s a pretty small pond.

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
It works! I got a little excited and didn’t rinse the gravel before putting it in the bog...mistakenly assumed all this rain had rinsed it pretty well while it sat at the rock yard. So the water will be cloudy for a little while.

The waterfall is running on a 1/3 HP sump pump just so I can see what the flow looks like. Planning to get a 3600 GPH pump soon.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didn't wash my gravel, had way to much and it was a drought that year (we are on a well) It does clear just give it time. Some will settle on the pond bottom either stir it up for more filtering and just leave it. I just left it.

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I’m looking at this pump, anybody familiar with the brand?

AQUANIQUE 3600 GPH Waterfall Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TIJYRBC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_4NnMCbM9C38M1

Lowes has apparently the same pump under the “Smartpond” brand for $250!?

It has good reviews, although a few have reported failure in a short time. Price is right and it’s relatively efficient at 170 watts. Feel free to suggest a favorite pump.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used sequence, currently using Laguna (small ones for the deck pond and hot tub pond) and dragon lim for the big pond. The dragon lim I bought in 2004 or so still running.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It’s a piece of 4”x4” aluminum angle I had laying around. Not sure if it will corrode, I’ll probably have to clearcoat it.

The aluminum shouldn't corrode or rust the same way steel would but you'll likely see some oxidation with time. I've had a piece of aluminum sheet metal for my waterfall weir and it has held up pretty nicely.

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I pulled the trigger on the 3600 GPH Aquanique. Interesting, the exact same pump is sold at HD for $207, Lowes is $250 and I paid $133 on Amazon, and a day later it’s now $113!!! I looked at it while at HD and the retail packaging gives a 2-year warranty. As received from Amazon it has a 1-year warranty.

So, I got it roughed in with the skimmer and here are the results, I’m pleased. I’d prefer the skimmer to be anywhere but the center. To move it to the edge I will have to cut the riser tube since it’s shallower than the rated minimum depth.

Also added 1-1/2” equal-angle aluminum to the top edge of the bog to hold the liner and dress up the top edge. It’s anodized so it won’t corrode.

This cloudiness is NOT going away...the particulates from the gravel are too fine and are not getting picked up by the bog or the box filter, and are not settling on their own. Need to see the bottom so I can arrange plumbing and rocks.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This cloudiness is NOT going away.
Get a laundry basket, a bucket anything you can put below your water fall. Put it on a something to keep it below the water fall. Fill it with quilt batting (Walmart Kmart) it will turn brown fast, rinse repeat, it will filter out the fine stuff.
Keep doing until you are happy with the results.

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Went by the pond store this afternoon, picked up a couple creeping jennys, a dwarf flowering canna and a couple grassy things (forgot the name already). Also got a water poppy for free, told him the one I had bought last year never did well and he replaced it. Support your Local Pond Shop! The poppy will hang out in the deeper water.

I’m eager to add some fish but want to make sure I get the muddy water cleared up first. Adding the plants only brought more fine clay. I’m considering just draining the pond but I’m a little worried the soggy soil underneath will slump. Probably safer to filter per Addy’s suggestion.

Ask a Question