Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didn't wash my gravel, had way to much and it was a drought that year (we are on a well) It does clear just give it time. Some will settle on the pond bottom either stir it up for more filtering and just leave it. I just left it.

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I’m looking at this pump, anybody familiar with the brand?

AQUANIQUE 3600 GPH Waterfall Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TIJYRBC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_4NnMCbM9C38M1

Lowes has apparently the same pump under the “Smartpond” brand for $250!?

It has good reviews, although a few have reported failure in a short time. Price is right and it’s relatively efficient at 170 watts. Feel free to suggest a favorite pump.

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used sequence, currently using Laguna (small ones for the deck pond and hot tub pond) and dragon lim for the big pond. The dragon lim I bought in 2004 or so still running.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It’s a piece of 4”x4” aluminum angle I had laying around. Not sure if it will corrode, I’ll probably have to clearcoat it.
The aluminum shouldn't corrode or rust the same way steel would but you'll likely see some oxidation with time. I've had a piece of aluminum sheet metal for my waterfall weir and it has held up pretty nicely.

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I pulled the trigger on the 3600 GPH Aquanique. Interesting, the exact same pump is sold at HD for $207, Lowes is $250 and I paid $133 on Amazon, and a day later it’s now $113!!! I looked at it while at HD and the retail packaging gives a 2-year warranty. As received from Amazon it has a 1-year warranty.

So, I got it roughed in with the skimmer and here are the results, I’m pleased. I’d prefer the skimmer to be anywhere but the center. To move it to the edge I will have to cut the riser tube since it’s shallower than the rated minimum depth.

Also added 1-1/2” equal-angle aluminum to the top edge of the bog to hold the liner and dress up the top edge. It’s anodized so it won’t corrode.

This cloudiness is NOT going away...the particulates from the gravel are too fine and are not getting picked up by the bog or the box filter, and are not settling on their own. Need to see the bottom so I can arrange plumbing and rocks.

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This cloudiness is NOT going away.
Get a laundry basket, a bucket anything you can put below your water fall. Put it on a something to keep it below the water fall. Fill it with quilt batting (Walmart Kmart) it will turn brown fast, rinse repeat, it will filter out the fine stuff.
Keep doing until you are happy with the results.

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Went by the pond store this afternoon, picked up a couple creeping jennys, a dwarf flowering canna and a couple grassy things (forgot the name already). Also got a water poppy for free, told him the one I had bought last year never did well and he replaced it. Support your Local Pond Shop! The poppy will hang out in the deeper water.

I’m eager to add some fish but want to make sure I get the muddy water cleared up first. Adding the plants only brought more fine clay. I’m considering just draining the pond but I’m a little worried the soggy soil underneath will slump. Probably safer to filter per Addy’s suggestion.

Ad

Advertisements

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I got impatient with the cloudy water and drained it this weekend. It gave me a chance to arrange the pump and some rocks too. I wouldn’t have done it in a drought year but we have had two years worth of rain this winter and it ain’t over yet.

A couple questions:

1) Does the pump need to run 24/7? At our (PG&E) power rates and 170W pump I calculated it will cost me about $33/mo.

2) The pond store wants to sell me a $15 bottle of water conditioner before I add fish. Is this necessary? I would think all the chlorine should have outgassed by now.

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes run the pump 24/7, mine only gets turned off in the winter.

You can let the water age, the chlorine does go away. But if you add city water you will need to dechlor if you add a lot.
I had a constant feed of water via a float valve for my Arizona pond, city water, never added dechlor, but the water sort of trickled in when needed.

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Pond is still cloudy, I put a bottle of barley clarifier in there, can’t see much of a difference after 2 days. I threw another pump with a box filter in there, hoping that helps. Was going to do the bucket and quilt batting thing but couldn’t figure out how to set it up without it tipping over.

Yesterday I threw in 10 “starter goldfish” from the pond store. Haven’t seen them since, until we went looking tonight and found 5 of the poor little guys in the skimmer. Still alive but probably not too happy. Not sure what to do about this, any ideas?

Last edited:

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Pond is still cloudy, I put a bottle of barley clarifier in there, can’t see much of a difference after 2 days. I threw another pump with a box filter in there, hoping that helps. Was going to do the bucket and quilt batting thing but couldn’t figure out how to set it up without it tipping over.

Yesterday I threw in 10 “starter goldfish” from the pond store. Haven’t seen them since, until we went looking tonight and found 5 of the poor little guys in the skimmer. Still alive but probably not too happy. Not sure what to do about this, any ideas?
I put a piece of deer fencing over the opening for my skimmer to keep the fish out.

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Still working my way through the shakedown phase of a new pond.

-The floating skimmer killed two goldies, so I took it out. The pump now draws from the middle shelf where it sits. I may put the skimmer back in when the fish are big enough not to get sucked in. Another solution might be to split the pump intake between a bottom draw and the skimmer, so the skimmer only takes in a minimal flow. This would prevent the pump from getting starved should the skimmer be clogged.

-The water in the bog was too high, and leaking over the top of the liner. I lowered the weir by 1/2” and widened it by another 10”. It still runs a nice continuous curtain.

-In addition to the original 10 goldies, I added 20 more. Population should be around 28 now. Algae has followed, predictably. We are going to add more floating plants, and the existing plants in the bog are filling out nicely. Hoping this sucks up enough nitrogen to clear up the water. I thought that water poppy was a goner after I put it in, but it is thriving. Hope to see some flowers on it soon.

Reactions: cas
Ad

Advertisements

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Nice looking!

So how do you end up cleaning a bog?
Ideally you don’t clean it, unless the diffuser pipes get clogged. At least I think, I’m a n00b to the bog scene. Mine are not glued in so I can just take them out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
The bog should be a biological engine continuously cleaning the water be way of physical and biological activity. The bog is always “cleaning itself” through the bacteria that consumes the biological waste so cleaning should not be required. The bog is nature at work and it is a beautiful thing. Maintenance of the plants in the bog is of course a requirement if you want it to look nice as well as function well. Can you tell, I am a bog lover.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question