RPE vs EPDM

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am in the planning stages for my pond. I was almost sold on Firestone epdm until I saw a video on rpe and how puncture resistant it was comparatively. I am torn between the two. I know epdm is much more flexible, but I think i could manage a more stiff of a liner in my situation. My pond will be around 9x14 with a few shelves between 2' and 3 feet at the deepest. Any info or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. ( I have a three year old son and a bullmastiff, so I will need something that will withstand some horseplay}

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Stiff liner is nice but really hard to make it shape to the size of the pond.The folds are very hard .Could you get a sample from the company .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:60899]Fallen

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It could be the stuff I think koiguy or someone on here bought and it was extremely stiff but not sure

Reaction score
The stiffness is horrible if you have a small pond. If you can't easily fold construction paper into the pond shape you want, rpe is a nightmare. Having shelves will create challenges. It is lightweight, and I'm sure it is great for large free-form ponds. I got it for two small ponds. I had to reconstruct the smaller pond so that I could line it. The larger one (which had "shelves") finally got lined and leaked. I bought EPDM to replace it and couldn't believe how much easier it was.

I think if I had a sample in advance I wouldn't have even tried it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I knew someone tried it and that is the same stuff they attached to the floor joists to hold up the insulation .I know it is real stiff and black and has a slight texture to it .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used ppl36 from bend tarp and liner, oregon, it is stiffer than epdm, pretty darn tough stuff. I had deer walking on it without issues, they like to walk my stream. I used it in my arizona pond also.
One thing I like about it, it is not as slick as epdm you can walk on it without totally slipping. I walk in my pond all of the time grooming lilies.

Ask a Question