Leak, wicking or evaporation?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone! It has been great to read all your helpful posts. I have a waterfall, stream, and pond that I just built this summer. The stream is about 65 feet and the pond is about 7x7’
The first 4 days (last week) the water level dropped maybe 1” in the pond, then the 5th day it dropped 3” in a day. I am worried that I have a leak and haven’t put all the rocks in until I am sure. I’m in park city, utah at about 6500 ft. How do I know? Thank you!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 198
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 168
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The first issue I see that may be your problem is the non woven fabric I believe I see it running right up to the top edge in the stream if so that's a leaker. It will whick water up and out of the stream. Even your rocks can whick water. Its just a matter of how high can it lift the water. I know hard to understand but even rubber that absolutely does nor absorb water can whick water up as much. As a 1 1/2" between a fold in the rubber.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The first issue I see that may be your problem is the non woven fabric I believe I see it running right up to the top edge in the stream if so that's a leaker. It will whick water up and out of the stream. Even your rocks can whick water. Its just a matter of how high can it lift the water. I know hard to understand but even rubber that absolutely does nor absorb water can whick water up as much. As a 1 1/2" between a fold in the rubber.
So I should fold down the fabric lower 1 1-2”, from the top of the rubber. I was worried about elk, deer and moose that come around sometimes but the water level isn’t that high anyway so I’ll start there. I don’t quite understand what to do with the rubber liner and how to prevent wicking.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have those types of animals your anticipating unless you bought 8 oz minimal there hoves can cut right through it. I don't think I'd use rubber in that area not unless I was using big boulders and or bury it under 6 inches of sand or more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi everyone! It has been great to read all your helpful posts. I have a waterfall, stream, and pond that I just built this summer. The stream is about 65 feet and the pond is about 7x7’
The first 4 days (last week) the water level dropped maybe 1” in the pond, then the 5th day it dropped 3” in a day. I am worried that I have a leak and haven’t put all the rocks in until I am sure. I’m in park city, utah at about 6500 ft. How do I know? Thank you!!
Hi and welcome to GPF! Do you think the leak is your pond or your stream? It’s very common to lose an inch a day in most ponds in the summer. I would guess you could also lose at least that much with a long stream due to evaporation. Is there anyway you could turn off your stream and see if the pond is going down a lot by itself? The more you can isolate the problem the easier it will be to fix it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so much. I don’t quite understand what to do with the rubber liner and how to prevent it from wicking. I will also turn off the pump and see if the pond is going down. If not, it may be the fabric and the length of the stream.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! We’re familiar with Park City, but sad that there may not be a ski season 2020/2021. Where are you located in PC?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

I add water every day, about 180 gallons, I have a auto add and we are on a well. If I did not the pond would be low every day. Between the stream (85feet) the bog, the heat etc a lot of water goes away every day.

The hot tub pond also looses water, about 2 inches every few days, with the heat sun etc.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you so much. I don’t quite understand what to do with the rubber liner and how to prevent it from wicking. I will also turn off the pump and see if the pond is going down. If not, it may be the fabric and the length of the stream.
A blast of waterfall foam in the fold . Or make sure the edge is higher then a few inches

Ask a Question