• 190ECA43-C8DF-44AD-9288-9CE6D2265CAE.jpeg
    190ECA43-C8DF-44AD-9288-9CE6D2265CAE.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Does anyone buy artificial lily pads or other materials to conceal fish from predators during the winter?
If so, where do you buy them? I know there’s lots on Amazon, but they also look as real as a $3 bill.

TY.
I use them during sp, sum and fa but not winter. They look real, friends are surprised after I tell them that the pads are not real.

amazon: Auihiay 10 Pieces 5 Kinds Artificial Floating Foam Lotus Leaves Lily Pads Artificial Foliage Pond Decor for Pond Pool Aquarium Decoration. I use a small piece of electrical tape to attach each to another ( 2 groups of 5) under them to keep them in a group. Use the splits on some of them to put some pads on top of others rather than making a circle shape. Then I use a fishing line with a small rock attached at the end to drop to the bottom as an anchor. Works great, even in the wind.​

Attachments

• IMG_0967(2).jpg
    IMG_0967(2).jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
The reviews indicate it is keeping away raccoons from koi ponds and keeps deer away from plants.

I don’t know if the koi thieves will get wise to it and ignore it.

We put up a trail cam today, so it will be interesting to see if anything goes near the pond, except for the frogs. I love the frogs. No complaints there.

Still haven’t seen the two new koi. It’s been about a week.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
This has nothing to do with your problem, but I have been missing my old black moor for a week now. No one else is missing. Odd things happen in a pond when you're not looking! Could be dead in the pond somewhere - could have been taken, but I find it odd that if it was taken, the critter didn't come back for the rest. The camera will definitely solve the mystery. In the meantime, I'm still baffled. Let us know what happens. I'm curious!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The camera will definitely solve the mystery.
Not necessarily. Mink or otters will enter a pond at an edge, and clean it out UNDER the ice! It has happened to friends of ours. A swimming pool sized pond, around 10' deep, with large breeder koi. :(
John

Ask a Question