Fancy Goldfish - Wakins and Watonais

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Wakin goldfish are a traditional pond breed of goldfish that never really became popular in western societies. They are characterized by having the slim, elongaged body of a common goldfish, but the double anal-fin and caudal fin of a fancy goldfish breed. Watonais are very similar, except while wakins have short fins like a common goldfish, watonais have long fish like a comet goldfish. They are beautiful, said to be hardier and more robust than fantails (but not quite as robust as commons or comets. Kind of an in-between state).

Unfortunately, due to their lack of popularity in the US, I've only ever found standard red-and-white wakins for sale at one pet store, one time, mislabeled (to my great pleasure) as fantails. Other than that lucky one-time incident, I've had to order my wakins and watonais from importers or breeders. This year both of the suppliers I relied upon for these fish, Dandy Orandas and Rain Gardens, have stopped selling. I may not be able to purchase any more wakins or watonais again for the foreseeable future.

I haven't noticed anybody talk about these two breeds on here before. I was wondering if there are any other goldfish enthusiasts hidden away on here who might know something about them, or know where they can be purchased. Perhaps, if I'm lucky, I might even find someone who had a spawning problem and had extras to rehome. That sort of thing.
I believe for a pretty penny you can buy both wakin and watonai at koisale.com

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have talked to the watonai guy! He says much of his stock is calico, with some blues! I believe he meant metalic blue, not calico blue.

This is very exciting!
Hi, I know this is an older thread but i bought a beautiful completely matte sky blue watonai male last year and I am looking for a female watonai that is sky blue or black opal to breed with him. I saw you mentioned a breeder with blue watonai stock. Is this an American breeder? If so could you share who the breeder is?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
His email is in a previous post, on page one of this thread. Don't know if he is still breeding these fish, but he's very nice and willing to work with you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
P.S. got this beautiful sarasa wakin from koifishusa.com. He arrived 1 day shipping and very healthy. They have lovely koi as well and very reasonable prices and shipping. I will order again.

Ask a Question