Feeding fish with other than fish food?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Fish have learned to eat mashed up blue crabs/mussels even though those aren’t for them. Supposed to be for the terrapins

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine eat off all of the plants in the pond. So, they've never liked any greens I've tried that I see others feed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Mine eat off all of the plants in the pond. So, they've never liked any greens I've tried that I see others feed.
You must live in the South. What plants will survive Georgia winters that my Goldies will eat?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
done! I have heard of others feeding dog food.
Considering how poor 75% of dog food really is I'd avoid that one.
Feeding quality food fruits and grains and quality fish food will also help keep a healthy stable environment. Poor quality junk food can do a number on water quality.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine get just fish food when I do feed them.

My pups get the highest quality dog food I can buy and supplements. Based on actual testing of the food.

They need hard food, being yorkies, to keep their teeth and jaws in good shape. I add freeze dried food and powdered nutrients, and of course cook eggs veggies for them. Not spoiled at all!
20220427_142020.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Considering how poor 75% of dog food really is I'd avoid that one.
AGREED! We stopped feeding our DOGS dog food after losing two to cancer and having a third one diagnosed with it - we were told she would live six weeks without intensive chemo. We said "no thank you" to the treatment and started researching what dogs should eat and started making all their food. She lived six years beyond her "prognosis" - she was 14 or 15 years old when she quietly died in her sleep. What we noticed was the improvement in their eyes, their coat, no itching, less shedding, no "doggy smell", smaller poops - a sign they weren't being filled up with "fillers" - cleaner teeth and ears... just a myriad of good things. Our little Bella used to dance in circles when it was time to eat her real food and just chow it down. On regular dog food - wet or dry - she would just pick and nibble throughout the day.

Wow - that was a tangent! I miss that little girl - she died right before Christmas curled up in her favorite bed right under the Christmas tree. This time of year always reminds me of her. Snuggle your doggies friends - they won't be here forever!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What was the recipes you found to help her. while we switched foods and helped with the one condition the itching and ears are still an issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
AGREED! We stopped feeding our DOGS dog food after losing two to cancer and having a third one diagnosed with it - we were told she would live six weeks without intensive chemo. We said "no thank you" to the treatment and started researching what dogs should eat and started making all their food. She lived six years beyond her "prognosis" - she was 14 or 15 years old when she quietly died in her sleep. What we noticed was the improvement in their eyes, their coat, no itching, less shedding, no "doggy smell", smaller poops - a sign they weren't being filled up with "fillers" - cleaner teeth and ears... just a myriad of good things. Our little Bella used to dance in circles when it was time to eat her real food and just chow it down. On regular dog food - wet or dry - she would just pick and nibble throughout the day.

Wow - that was a tangent! I miss that little girl - she died right before Christmas curled up in her favorite bed right under the Christmas tree. This time of year always reminds me of her. Snuggle your doggies friends - they won't be here forever!
Oh, I am SO sorry for your loss of Bella...It is SO hard to lose a family member. I ache just thinking of my dogs that I have lost over the years. Every one was as close to my heart as my children...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
What was the recipes you found to help her. while we switched foods and helped with the one condition the itching and ears are still an issue.
So many dogs have itching problems...No one has really been able to solve the problem completely without drugs (Apoquel, for one) ..started feeding a raw diet and there was some improvement but I always wondered how some people just got lucky and had a dog with no allergies...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can move the dog food chat to its own thread if you all want me to.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What are you thinking like making a category called life off topic or something

Ask a Question