Filter Failure Issue

Reaction score
Hi, Im new to the site. I have several very nice koi in a few ponds. I had a problem about a month ago, lost %90 of my water in a 4000 gallon swimming pool converted to a pond. Since then, i have been trying to recover. The filter still doesnt seem to be cycled completely. Testing ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate daily. Adding detox products to kill the ammonia and nitrite. Added Ozone, upped the salt, and the alkalinity. Can anyone tell me if maybe products like Amquel and prime will prevent nitrification bacteria? Any ideas to speed up this process? CANNOT LOSE THESE FISH!

Thank you all.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
What happend to the filter ?
You can help the filter out with some beneficial bacteria....
at 4 weeks you should be starting to get close....How many Koi do you have in there ?
Welcome to the forum

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
microbelifts pl gel filter innoculant is the fastest colonizing bacteria by far. but Dr. Daves right, thats not much of a bio load. unless you have some BIG nice fish. and whats "a few"? true you may have lost some bacteria in the refill process.

Reaction score
Its 4 females ranging from 22 - 28 inches. They are our finest. A seal at the pump broke and drained the pool. added bacteria and trying to control ammonia and nitrites via products such as Amquel and Prime and just added Zeolite. Have Ozone running in it and have done massive water changes. Seems to be turning around a bit but still need to speed this thing up.

Reaction score
What are your ammonia and nitrite readings, and are your fish showing any signs of stress?

ljpurr said:
A seal at the pump broke and drained the pool.
Ouch. That's something I hadn't considered in the design for my rebuild. Any idea how fast it drained?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That was just bad luck..
If you never had your pond drain out,you havent been ponding long enough
send some pics of the pond and the koi

Ask a Question