Filter/pump help!

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My boyfriend and I are in the process of building our first 450-ish gallon pond. The approximate measurements are 7ft x 3ft and 2.5-3ft deep. These measurements may change a bit but not by a whole lot. At least half the volume of the pond will be underground. From what I have read my pump(s) should do the volume of the pond 2x per hour so I need at a minimum an 900 gph pump(s). There will only be 4 wakin/watonai in the finished pond with some sort of screen to keep the raccoons out.

I have been agonizing over what type of filter/pump set up to use.

I have had several people suggest a skippy filter but have gotten conflicting information on how big the container should be. On the skippy site it says that my pump should be as far from the filter as possible, but from what I understand this will reduce the gph of that pump - does that mean I need to buy a pump that does a lot more than 900 gph? If I put the pump closer to the filter could I put a really small pump/fountain at the far end to prevent stagnant water? I also have a bit of an issue with where to put the big ugly bucket and don't have a good place to hide it. Would the skippy filter waterfall be good enough aeration?

I have read about making 5g submersible bucket filters. Would 2 of these be adequate for my pond? Would 2 small fountains be enough aeration?

I feel so clueless right now and have read so much conflicting information that I just don't know what to do! This would be so much easier if someone could just tell me what to do! I don't want to make an uninformed decision and end up with a disaster.

here is a horribly photoshopped picture of what the finished placement will be. None of this is built yet so any suggestions for changes or use of different materials would be appreciated.

pondplain.jpg

Thanks for looking

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum !!
You wont loose to many gph going across the pond
You would be doing your self a favor if you build a low profile Skippy out of a stock tank ,you can hide it with rocks and plants

Reaction score

I kept reading warnings about losing gph by sending the water too far, maybe they were talking about monster ponds! This seems pretty monster to me but I'm sure that I'll outgrow it pretty fast :p

Do you agree with the 2x filtration rule that I read? Is 4 wakin/watonai in a 400-500 gallon pond as understocked as I think it is? I really want this pond to be easy and my slightly overstocked goldfish tank can be a bit of a pain so I am overcompensating with a lightly stocked pond.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard, The 5 gallon bucket idea, get away from that one, That's good for someone that knows whats going on and has a specific use for it. Skippy filter is a good idea if the idea is followed and it's designed correctly. If you look here you will also find the DIY (Do It Yourself)section. There are some that use the skippy and have made teir own versions ,The DOC filter is a great idea, Just built one a little over a week ago and my pond looks better than it has in 6 years. Would be easy to make work and hide with your plans. Some are believers in bog gardens, Another great way but no very good for your idea as a lot of building and dirt moving might get involved.
your welcome to check out my filter that I built, Search Generation one trash master. LOL But please check out some of the other members DYI filters as well, lots of different ideas and lots of ideas that you may be able to save some $$ and make something work even better for yourself. My cost of my filter was just under $100 not including pump.
Speaking of pump, 900 gph is the minimum you want to get, for the little more cost you could get one that turns 1500-1800 and it gives you more for filtering and oxygenating the pond, you can always put a tee and a valve and bleed back any extra water being pumped back in the pond to circulate it. The gph will reduce with more pipe, turns, filtering and such. It may sound high at first but a filter and fountain will probably be about what that pump would actually take care of and do a good job for your pond.

Reaction score
Is there a specific brand of pump that I should look for or avoid? How much gph is too much? Is a fountain pump and a pond pump the same thing? I know that I can handle putting together a skippy. Your trash master post kinda hurt my head, so I will go back and re-read it. lol it seems like the more I find out the more questions that I have! Thank you :fish:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
You would be hard pressed to find a better submersable pump than a Laguna..that said heres some stats on some of the better known brand name pumps:
http://www.webbsonline.com/pond-pump...d4XTxBw#laguna
filters...we have some good ones in the DIYsection..I built and use both a stocktank and a 55 gal barrel filter..my preference is the stocktank. its lower profile makes an easier install pondside as a waterfall...performance between the 2 are pretty equal and are both fantastic.
heres my builds if your interested.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/koiguys-70-gal-skippy-style-filter-t5089.html
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/koiguys-55-gallon-bio-filter-skippy-style-t4339.html

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
fishin'...a DOC filter would never use scrubbies.. and your plumbing pipe is too big...3/4" is used in a DOC filter....looks more like a koiguy filter to me!!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
koiguy1969 said:
fishin'...a DOC filter would never use scrubbies.. and your plumbing pipe is too big...3/4" is used in a DOC filter....looks more like a koiguy filter to me!!

You know, I wish you knew just how much that little statement above really messed with my brain this morning. Took a whole pot of coffee, three trips to the shop and reading for over two hours on the DOC, Skippy, KoiGuy, trashmaster filters! LOL Yea, your right! I'm talking about one and using the name of the other. DUH? seriously I think I have OCD! I've been reading so much about filtration and experminting lately I'm about to go filternuts!
heck I even put my orange juice in the coffee pot this morning. Filtering it, heating it or just wasn't awake yet? OK, I'm heading back to the shop, I've got another filter to get up and running today! LOL:bouncycig:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
no biggie.....speaking of coffee...my new Mr. Coffee coffee maker worked fine yesterday...wont do anythig but hold the water today...thank the lord we didnt throw away the old one!!! i cant survive without my "FOLGERS"!! AFTER ALL ITS THE BEST PART OF WAKIN' UP!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
My first pot this morning was eight o'clock hazelnut orange juice with cocoa creamer! LOL I was like WTF when I took that first sip! Oh and the wife had a couple more choice words before she left for work and didn't get any of the second pot! I still think she poured the orange juice in the cup.:confused: she said I did it!:):yikesu:

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help! I am going to attempt to assemble the filter tomorrow. Do you have any good links for installing the flush drain? It would have to be like the "installing the drain for dummies" edition. I am going to be making my filter from a 30ish gallon container. After a bit of arguing we have decided to go with a 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank pond (so we can keep it when we move)

A parts list would be wonderful. If there is no such information easily available I will assemble the bits that I am confident about and seek help from my more construction minded neighbor :D

Thanks again

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Check the diy section there is a lot of good threads on what you need to build filters.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Kulukan said:
Thanks for all your help! I am going to attempt to assemble the filter tomorrow. Do you have any good links for installing the flush drain? It would have to be like the "installing the drain for dummies" edition. I am going to be making my filter from a 30ish gallon container. After a bit of arguing we have decided to go with a 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank pond (so we can keep it when we move)

A parts list would be wonderful. If there is no such information easily available I will assemble the bits that I am confident about and seek help from my more construction minded neighbor :lol:

Thanks again

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/generation-one-trash-master-t7915.html#post69714

[ame]

These are mine, hopefully you can get some thing useful from them, the video has how my backflush works and shows what I do to backflush it. the thread is for my DYI filter on my 300 gallon stock tank.

Reaction score
That's a very good video of how you flush your filter! Thank you.

new questions before I hack up my trash can or use some parts beyond returning.

I have 2" shower drain, 2" pipe and a 2" ball valve for a flush drain but before I assemble this I was wondering if it would be possible for me to go down to a much outlet or valve so that I could attach it to a garden hose or if it would be too much pressure on seals of such small fixtures. Would I still use the 2" shower drain and buy all the bits to shrink it down to garden hose size or is there a smaller drain fixture I could use?

Ask a Question