Filtration system

Reaction score
I have had a small pond for 10+ years, about three years ago added a big pond, about 35,000 gal. I have never really had a filtration system on any of my ponds, they have good water circulation, plants and fish are thriving. Do I need a filtration system ?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome!

Can you give us more information about your ponds? What size is "small," and did you mean 35,000 or 3,500 gallons? Do they have liners (well, not the 35,000 gal. one, I'm sure), or "natural"?

Do you have any type of pump going for circulation or aeration (you mentioned having good circulation)? What kind and how many fish do you have? Do you test your water?

I know these questions might seem silly since they don't answer your question, but the more information we have, the better able we are to help give the best advice.

My personal opinion is that I'd want good filtration, but each situation is different. You've gone this long without it, so you must be doing something right so far!

Reaction score
I used an online pond calculator and yes its 35,000 gal, big enough to have an island that is about 10 feet wide. It has a large waterfall With about a 18-24 inch drop, I can't remember the gph of the pump, I also have a smaller pump running as well. It has prob 40-50 fish, large comments, large faintails, small koi, salamanders, and a couple frogs.
The small pond is probably around 1000, it has a small pump, but has a lot of plants that cover about 1/2 the waters surface, it has about 20 fish, med to large commets, salamanders, frogs, and a kazillion snails.
I do not test my water, have been very lucky with my fish, only had one problem several years ago and lost 5-6 fish, but I think I fed them bad food, discovered afterward that their bag of food had drawn damp and had mold in it.
Really wanting to get the water clear, but don't want a bunch of cost or maintenance, and worried about doing more harm than good.

Reaction score
Algae, I believe
I usually get the blue stuff that blocks the UV rays in early spring, with the crazy weather we had I didn't get it in till later,but now the algae is there and I can't get rid of it. I have used beneficial bacteria, liquid barley extract, cleared some of it but not all.
I am concerned about not having a filtration system and sludge buildup, but have no idea where or how to put one in that will not be an eyesore or difficult to clean out.

Ask a Question