Fin rot?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
In another post I mentioned that a friend gave me a bunch of fish from her mom's pond. Long story short this pond hadn't had any attention since her mom left about a year or so ago. She had to drain most of it to get the fish and apparently it was loaded with sludge and decaying plants and smelled horrific. So lots of bacteria. Anyway, one of the fish she gave me seems to have fin rot (doesn't look like any fungus at this point) I read this is not contagious and that it doesn't need to be quarantined, but I am wondering what I can add to my water to help this little guy out, or do you think now that he is in a new clean environment it will heal on it's own?

Reaction score
Hi! I believe the fresh clean enviroment will do just fine for now. Keep an eye on it for now. As to your other post, I had both goldfish and koi in my pond when I first started out but, emptied out the pond last summer for repairs and only put the 9 koi back in. They spawned very quickly without me even knowing until I saw babies swimming around. I've had them for 12 years and the goldfish always spawned but, never the koi that I knew of. I was curious as to whether there might have been goldfish eggs in the pond left over from cleaning so I took a bunch of the babies into the house and kept them in a tank until they were about 3" at which point I could see the barbs on them and knew they were koi. I had to use a magnifying glass to see them. My goldfish, when I had them, grew to about 6" and the koi keep growing until....well....they get really big!!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Personally, I would trim any fins that looked TOO ratty, and paint the edge with iodine. Learned this years ago from an old-timer in the hobby, and the few times I have done it, it has worked. Use good, sharp scissors!
John

Ask a Question