Finally Getting Around To Pond Building

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
here's the location of the bog filter. I'll be doing the masonry work this weekend. It sits behind the pool and is roughly 2x11x 2ft deep. I plan to cut slits in a 4" pvc pipe about 10ft long along the length of the bog. Slits will face downwards and sit on 6" of coarse stone. The pipe and bog will then be filled with 18" of pea gravel. The excess liner from the pond continues into the bog as a single piece. The bog is 12" higher than the pond and will trickle water back into the pond from the bog along the full 11ft span. There will be a waterfall on the side. But will use the existing filter as a pump. I want to have a backup anyway.

I'm sure I've forgotten some other details. Fire away any questions, thanks
WP_20170627_18_30_40_Pro.jpg

WP_20170627_18_31_09_Pro.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used roofing paper since roofer did not know I was using ice and water shield under my shingles he just left and I found uses for it .Great job so far

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking good! My bog flows over a water fall but also trickle flows along the entire wall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Do you know what you want for water flow over the wall from the bog to the main pond?
Because you have fish, the objective is to have the water pumps circulating about 2 1/2 times your pond water volume every hour. The purpose is to have enough water circulation that detritus is kept suspended so it can be removed by your filters.
With such a wide overflow area, you have a lot of options open to you. I prefer a slower flow through the bog, like addy has.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Do you know what you want for water flow over the wall from the bog to the main pond?
Because you have fish, the objective is to have the water pumps circulating about 2 1/2 times your pond water volume every hour. The purpose is to have enough water circulation that detritus is kept suspended so it can be removed by your filters.
With such a wide overflow area, you have a lot of options open to you. I prefer a slower flow through the bog, like addy has.
lm thinking slow flow for that reason and besides want the waterfall to be the main feature. Sounds like I should get a pump to handle about 4000G/hr. Can you recommend pumps you've had luck with?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Away at the moment but starting to think about the bog I'll be working on when I return. I will be buying a new 4000 Gph pump but will keep the old 2000 Gph pump to supply to the water fall. Someone here suggested to prefilter the water before the bog. Can I just use canister from the 2000 gph setup or will I need a new canister?

Both are Laguna pumps but different types

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
finished blocking the bog which sits between the deck and pond. Trimmed the liner from the pond to be used in the bog and lined the bottom with foam. Fitted in the 17x8 feet liner, overlapping where the bog will spill over back into the pond. Then washed off a few buckets of my extremely dirty pea gravel. And carried it uphill and a flight of stairs to the bog. Not fun. Guessing at the rate it was going it will take me at least 300 trips and lots of washing. Need to rethink this, way too back breaking work.

2 yards of dirty gravel
WP_20170804_17_13_40_Pro.jpg

bog coming along
WP_20170806_13_13_08_Pro.jpg

added 3 inches to pond depth using @Meyer Jordan design I caught in another thread which also keeps the water level above exposed liner
WP_20170806_11_55_48_Pro.jpg

worked on the extended waterfall as the gravel hauling to the bog was too not going to work
WP_20170806_20_06_55_Pro.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We didn't wash our gravel, if that's any help. Way too much work. The cloudiness that resulted cleared within a few hours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Also not crazy about how the waterfall turned out, way to symmetric and boring to look at
I like the one from the POTM winner, but not that high since my sides are already raised
Got any waterfall ideas?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We didn't wash our gravel, if that's any help. Way too much work. The cloudiness that resulted cleared within a few hours.
We washed the first wheel barrel full, then just dumped the rest in. All 38000 lbs of it. The dirt cleared right up

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Got any waterfall ideas?
You could make it wiggle a bit rather than a straight line drop, also add a collection area before it drops into the pond. Makes a nice area you can plant. Put some rocks here and there in the bed to break up the look.

Find some round rocks to lay in the water fall and along the edge, you have a lot of straight edged rocks. Get different sizes.

Some plants like creeping jenny etc low growing ground covers will soften the look when they grow in.
I have a lot of creeping jenny here and there.

Ask a Question