Finally starting my pond.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yes i got the same objections before .BUT you are missing that the waterfall water has to be directed away from the skimmer by means of the rock i drew at the meeting of the stream and the pond. that water has to be sent opposite of the skimmer . that way you get the pond circulating and the clean water pushes the dirty toward the skimmer.
now if your stream came in where i wrote jet then i would leave the skimmer where you originally had in but your pond being long and narrow with the falls/ stream in the middle you'll have filtered water get sucked back into the filter before the dirty water gets a chance.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That makes sense. So I’m guessing keep the skimmer about 2’ to the left of where the falls come into the pond. Right at that bend before the falls. Another good thing, the return line will be much shorter and powerful there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
correct Or Move the stream to the top where you have the skimmer and move the skimmer to the bottom of the pic but then your working against the wind

Reaction score
Country
United States
So here is my current update on the pond. Pond size will be 13’x7’x3’. Now, I have had several different comments about where to place the skimmer. It seems in this layout there is no perfect spot to put it. I will be placing 1-2 water jets in the pond to help move the water toward the skimmer location. Now the waterfall is facing to the west which is into the wind on windy days. I do have a Florida room off the back of the house with a bi level deck that will block most of the wind. I have 2 questions, 1 I need to settle this skimmer placement issue, and 2 the waterfall weir height. For the waterfall weir height I current have it about 3” below the ground surface. My question on the weir is, whats the best way to access the weir in the fall for winterizing? I will need to drain all the water from it without moving the rock to get to it. Some say they drill a small hole at that bottom and drain the water, then install a rubber plug when in use. However, Mine will be roughly 3” down into the ground. The idea is to hide the waterfall weir with large rock and make it as natural as possible. I have added some more pictures, please give your advice. Also I purchased a used skimmer instead of doing a DIY skimmer. In the one picture I have marked it with a red dot of where I’m thinking I want the skimmer, the Blue dot represents a water jet placement. I can also round off that side near the water jet more. I don’t want the skimmer next to the Waterfall, because I don’t want to see the skimmer while enjoying the look of the waterfall. Also I decided to go with no rock on the bottom of the pond. I will create a few bonding spot later for the fish.

Attachments

• C3E6C3C7-CE66-4DC4-9E0D-360406AB01F5.jpeg
    C3E6C3C7-CE66-4DC4-9E0D-360406AB01F5.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 7FEE17CC-1D12-4DDB-97B8-30656991F91F.jpeg
    7FEE17CC-1D12-4DDB-97B8-30656991F91F.jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You know my input, if you have a clay base to your pond i strongly suggest you add a way for water to find its way from below your bald base. Its called a hippo you might want to google pond hippo.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Does water soak into the clay at the bottom of your hole? Or does it stay and slowly sink in.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Slowly soaks in…this was after about 5minutes. To be on the safe side I will be berming the pond!

Attachments

• 68CFDDD2-E67E-4415-9207-F8CBBCE3DA1F.jpeg
    68CFDDD2-E67E-4415-9207-F8CBBCE3DA1F.jpeg
    505.5 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
berming helps but water can find your pond from underground water. Water looks for the path of least resistance. in other words the rains soak into the ground. After a good rail and the soils start to saturate the soils start draining slower and slower as they have a good soaking. ADD MORE RAIN AND YOU START GETTING MORE UNDERGROUND WATER AND CHANNELS.. with a bald liner when water gets under the liner the only resistance is the liner" not much" it lifts the liner from below and it can lift the liner right up out of the pond

well i couldn't find a video showing a hippo i'm surprised but it is the last issue you want. to alleviate the potential is simple. you need to give the water an easy way out. a empty pipe / channel for the water to go .https://www.underwaterwarehouse.com/pond-liner-and-sealants/liner-air-vents/underliner-vent-system-6-x-150-roll/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll answer your bottom of the pond gravel question - mine is about the size of a nice large blueberry. Not sure what they call it in the trade, but just ask for the blueberry size and you'll be fine! haha!

As for how much - I think mine is probably an inch deep. Enough to cover the liner. I get in and swish around with my feet to shake it up every now and again - keeps it free from that dreaded debris build up everyone warns you about. It's really just a fine sediment... nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m still torn between the rock bottom…that will probably be a last minute decision.

Ask a Question