Finally starting to think about the pond build..its only taken 3+ years INDECISION, INDECISION!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 was able to dig this out of the archives!

This was a thread from…..way back in the beginning…..BP (before pond). I was having fun with polymer clay and decided to “create” a mini pond. You can even see that I added turtles on the rocks! Realistically, THIS type of pond wouldn’t have worked because it was too deep (box turtles only need a few inches of depth) and at the time I didn’t know what bogs were. But, anyway, this is how I can “create” my example!

ps — the fencing won’t be like this.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
HOW FUN IS THAT?!? Very cool idea! I'd suggest every pond builder have someone on staff who works in clay to give customers (PEOPLE LIKE ME anyway!) who need something other than a drawing to get inspiration from!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
@addy1 was able to dig this out of the archives!

This was a thread from…..way back in the beginning…..BP (before pond). I was having fun with polymer clay and decided to “create” a mini pond. You can even see that I added turtles on the rocks! Realistically, THIS type of pond wouldn’t have worked because it was too deep (box turtles only need a few inches of depth) and at the time I didn’t know what bogs were. But, anyway, this is how I can “create” my example!

ps — the fencing won’t be like this.

The polymer clay mock-up is a masterpiece and @addy1 is a A+ finder of decade-old threads - one-handed, too.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Aww shucks used key words , sometimes works sometimes doesn't.
I thought of that, it was so long ago….the only keyword I could think of was “pond,” and it never occurred to me that I actually used “polymer clay” in there anywhere. Duh!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did you ever see my drawing on how to lower boulders into place in the pond without equipment ? I know you were concerned about that

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Did you ever see my drawing on how to lower boulders into place in the pond without equipment ? I know you were concerned about that
Link please? I am looking into some larger boulders for my bog area and was just gonna use a handtruck and some underlayment with several people.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am going to split off from this thread and post regarding individual aspects of the project. Please, keep posting here — I need the encouragement— but go to subsequent threads for further updates, opinions, input, etc. Wish me luck!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I am going to split off from this thread and post regarding individual aspects of the project. Please, keep posting here — I need the encouragement— but go to subsequent threads for further updates, opinions, input, etc. Wish me luck!
sorry for getting off topic :) You should start like a dedicated build thread so that there is an easy place to follow along.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah ping ponging around has me spinning . If this site worked well it may not be an issue but I'll find posts days after they were started and yet I check new posts everyday and nope not there

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would think like a turtle how the habitat how they bask how the eat and move about. Like @Jhn has with the liner running well outside the pond area I would make a beach area where they can walk right in and out but only by walking on gravel as the liner it's self would be under the gravel / sand and have pockets / pools where a mini pond can be but has the water from the pond going to it so though there may not be acflow but the waters are still connected. If you made the whole thing a foot deep or 6 inches you can create what ever habitat you want.

Thinking about it and after seeing John's happy little turtles is making me want to build one. But I still have a few weekends of work left to do with the bog addition.

I'd also make a pocket where I kept nothing but dry leaves so they can make there way down and have a cool dry place in summer and a place to sleep for the winter.

Ask a Question