Finally starting to think about the pond build..its only taken 3+ years INDECISION, INDECISION!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@TheFishGuy @GBBUDD Just started — it starts with “CHAPTER 1,” very original. I decided that figuring out how to make the turtle-bog was the first step, and the most difficult for me.
Make it one thread , chapter one first post, then chapter 2 when move on. I get lost when there are multiple posts about one build need to search for other posts.

Jmho....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 I did think of that, but I also considered that at least this part (about turtle bogs) was specific enough to warrant its own thread. That way, the turtle bogs won’t get lost in the general thread. I think that once I get that problem solved, the remainder is going to flow smoothly, like a regular pond build.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have decided on a possible placement….. Pretty much center of the backyard. Still have to bring Hubby onboard.

F33AA233-9ED4-4596-856F-4EA5912C00FB.jpeg

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
You have yourself a dang ncie backyard! I only see one turtle area there, where would the second one go?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@TheFishGuy The particular area will actually cover more ground than what I have drawn here. Right now I’m tracking the shade from that huge oak tree (this pic was taken around 10:30am CST) to help me decide the best placement. The turts need plenty of sunshine, so I can’t have them in 100% shade. I can always add shrubs to provide shade if the area gets too much sun. And ultimately, the sides won’t be the same size since the one girl doesn’t need as much space as the boys.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There's 10 times more stuff in my shop then everything in the house combined. Now if your talking real-estate in the bathroom . Oh yeah you win hands down

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
When you finally break ground you should definitely cut the grass into sod chunks and transplant it to any other places you may need in the yard. I'm a bit of a lawn care fanatic as well so it pains me to see such nice grass go to waste :cool:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When you finally break ground you should definitely cut the grass into sod chunks and transplant it to any other places you may need in the yard. I'm a bit of a lawn care fanatic as well so it pains me to see such nice grass go to waste :cool:
Will do! The back yard is planted with St. Augustine — which I love! The rest of the yard isn’t, but there’s no way we could ever consider a full resodding, so we will reuse as much as we can.

@GBBUDD The issue with space is, well, it’s complicated. It’s my thread so guess I can go a little off-topic. A box turtle lesson:
  • in captivity, a box turtle requires (at minimum) 10 square feet per turtle. Here, the math is simple: 1 girl = 100 sq ft; 4 boys = 400 sq ft.
  • box turtles are solitary, and territorial — very territorial. This is most obvious at feeding times: the more dominant of the boys will “posture,” and intimidate the others, chasing them away from the food. This means enough space is needed to be able to separate the boys and give them individual feeding spots. Because we have an ant problem, I can’t leave food out for them, so have to corral them up and eliminate line-of-sight feeding spots, and monitor them to see when each is through eating.
  • the funny thing is that girls get along better with other girls, than boys do with other boys. Unfortunately, Mother Nature blessed me with only 1 girl — Alphie, and she is a sweetheart! The pic is of her. On this day, she heard me talking to the boys as I was feeding them. She was waiting for me at her favorite feeding spot:love:
  • they need microclimates and enrichments in their habitats, so in order to provide these, more space is needed (especially for the aforementioned boys who don’t share well)
@Lisak1 Thank you! The yard is absolutely overwhelming for us — a corner lot. Lots and lots of potential, but every time I get an idea, I remember that we need to get the pond done first, as any landscaping will be in the way once pond excavation starts.

The white powder is food grade diatomaceous earth — I was in the process of eliminating a nasty ant bed.
76CBD665-9432-4C37-8E9A-432A25FB3859.jpeg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Still a long, long way to go, but have finally come up with a design for the turtle-bog/habitat part of the new pond rebuild project. I don’t have dimensions yet, and will have to use the water hose/spray paint method to come up with exact placement and dimensions. The “turtle-bog” is going to be a recreation of what I had at the last house: the fence will bisect the bog. I guess I’ll plumb it the same way, as well. So now, I can start thinking about the pond!

46331C8A-5C93-401B-9B62-C53FE2BD0786.jpeg

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Still a long, long way to go, but have finally come up with a design for the turtle-bog/habitat part of the new pond rebuild project. I don’t have dimensions yet, and will have to use the water hose/spray paint method to come up with exact placement and dimensions. The “turtle-bog” is going to be a recreation of what I had at the last house: the fence will bisect the bog. I guess I’ll plumb it the same way, as well. So now, I can start thinking about the pond!

View attachment 150616
why is the little notch in the middle fence there. Couldnt you jsut keep the fence straight and build the bog through the middle of that?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States

View attachment 150616
Lucky turtles: get ready, get set, go! Apologies in advance if this is so basic and you've thought of it (I hadn't, long ago). As you design and dimension, look at materials and see what their standard sizes are, and tweak your design so you aren't cutting 2.3456 inches off each gizmo or trying to patch in pieces. My dimensioning ignored 25 foot standard "buy length" of the hose I was using and the "easiest" (I am joking. T'waren't easy at all) solution for needing 27 feet was to move the waterfall.
I see the turtles getting ready to move!

Ask a Question