First attempt at a large pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow amazing work @Telion and I wanna see it in action when you get it all up and running .A video would be good.
Yes I completely agree hopefully it wont be too long for now.

Yesterday my dad asked me to keep track of my mistakes so I don't duplicate them when I do his pond. I told him I haven't made any yet. Then last night I was trying to move some of the rocks over the liner...mistake one don't place the rocks in place till the liner is down. This is going to be a long painful process.

Then I was trying to overlap the bog liner and get the ponds liner underneath it... Mistake #2 don't fill or rock the area of the bog where it meets the pond till the pond liner is down. Lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lol, love your dad! Ok back to your hard labor now moving all your rock friends
upload_2018-5-13_8-24-44.gif
upload_2018-5-13_8-25-18.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The really rocking nightmare has begun lol. I forgot how big these rocks are.my wife and I developed a system luckily that makes it a little easier and gives us more shelf room now that I am nit in a panic about having enough liner. The water fall feature off the bog has to change i hate the way it sits currently and if my brat puts a hole in the liner i am going to kick his butt (norlt really but i will be pretty upset)
20180514_112548.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
20180516_202704.jpg

Didnt get much work done on the pond. We did pick up another truck load of 6 to 10" rocks. Hard to pass up when they are free.

Hoping to get the small fall off the bog to look something like this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat rocks!
Thank you. Small update I decided to put a pump in my skimmer. Hoping since it is placed below the freeze Line I can use it through the winter. I have a question does anyone else that lives in a cold climate run their pump through the winter snow. I also want to now if anyone runs their pump through their bog when it snows and freezes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Made some huge progress today. Got the liner under all of the big rocks. Now all that is left is finish the plumbing and finish the repairs from the tears my bad butt dog put in the liner. also took advantage of the extra liner by making the top shelf near the pergola a little bigger.
20180519_195650.jpg
20180519_195705.jpg

20180519_195413(0).jpg
20180519_162237.jpg

The two pumps side by side. 12,500 gph monsoon and my 2,500 gph Harbor freight pump. The design is identical.
20180519_122014.jpg

Sitting there like a couple of Turbos: )

20180519_121911.jpg
20180519_121858.jpg

Still owe many thanks to the forum for advice on selecting the right type of pumps. Pay attention to your amps friends. Getting the right pump(s) will pay for itself in time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
We just got the same 2500 gallon pump from harbor freight! My new one from last year was put out of commission by a power surge during a storm last week.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I like it when you can't see the liner above the waterline in ponds. Looks more natural and fish like picking at stuff between the spaces.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have a question does anyone else that lives in a cold climate run their pump through the winter snow. I also want to now if anyone runs their pump through their bog when it snows and freezes?

Yes on both counts. We run our pond all winter long and have for six winters - two of them the worst we have had in the Chicago area in decades, both in terms of cold and snow.

mistake one don't place the rocks in place till the liner is down. This is going to be a long painful process.

That's why I asked you that question - somewhere in this thread. Moving the same rocks twice would not be my idea of fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes on both counts. We run our pond all winter long and have for six winters - two of them the worst we have had in the Chicago area in decades, both in terms of cold and snow.

That's why I asked you that question - somewhere in this thread. Moving the same rocks twice would not be my idea of fun!

Yes I remember that clearly lol. Chicago has had some insane winters lately. About how far under the ground level is your pump located. I am not sure how far down water will freeze yet here. Not so much that matters if the water is continuous water flow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking at the pic where my skimmer is dead center of the pic behind the liner I can already see that I will need to raise it a bit. I would like the water line above the rocks.
View attachment 110947
Looking good my man. wont be long until you have water running. What's the expected head pressure gph at the top of the falls ?

Ask a Question