First attempt at a large pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Wow. That waterfall is brilliant, it's really going to look like mother nature made it, and not man made at all, especially using the tree in the middle, now I wish my garden had a hill.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I draw my water that feeds the bog from around a foot off the bottom of the pond.

Exactly this. Our bog is fed from the rain exchange - the large debris gets "skimmed" by the gravel so the water is clean when it gets pumped to the bog.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Behold the power of the 12,500 gph Anjon Monsoon with about 20ft of head. I am getting close now. It's now close enough to run it for a few minutes without worrying about emptying the pond (a slight exaggeration).

I made a few more changes after this video by increasing the wall height a tad on the left side. I will test it again tomorrow. Once it is set the way I want I will likely go back through it with cement and/or liquid nails. Having said that it will likely only run to impress lol its LOUD. so I will tie the bottom drain to the bog I think...thoughts? I could just turn it down and leave it tied to the bottom drain then turn it up to show it's full force on occasion.

You'll like the noise of running water, I do, so I'd vote for turning it down & leaving it run all the time. Get it to a level it doesn't splash the rocks as much as sounds good to help limit your water loss. It's amazing how much you can lose to spray in a day. Otherwise it looks great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You'll like the noise of running water, I do, so I'd vote for turning it down & leaving it run all the time. Get it to a level it doesn't splash the rocks as much as sounds good to help limit your water loss. It's amazing how much you can lose to spray in a day. Otherwise it looks great!
That is the exact goal, as much flow as possible without losing water I might divert some and run a ball valve to reduce the flow. I want to mechanically slow the flow as much as possible.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
That is the exact goal, as much flow as possible without losing water I might divert some and run a ball valve to reduce the flow. I want to mechanically slow the flow as much as possible.
Ball valves are awesome, just look for one that's fully enclosed. I just bought 2 like that. Old ones I had had a rubber bottom under the valve that eventually leaked due to freezing temps per my best guess. The valve will let you tweak the flow as the situation dictates. Every day use vs show off use lol but the steep incline really recreates what I've seen in nature a lot! I never had the space to really build one or I would have.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ball valves are awesome, just look for one that's fully enclosed.

Ball valves ARE awesome - unless they're not! We had to replace all of ours. Not sure what you mean by "fully enclosed" but our problem was the valves got too stiff to turn by hand and then the handles got brittle and cracked off after the first year. Very frustrating. We bought really heavy duty ones and the plumbing store told us to make sure you lubricate them - we just used Vaseline. Haven't had a problem since.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Exactly this. Our bog is fed from the rain exchange - the large debris gets "skimmed" by the gravel so the water is clean when it gets pumped to the bog.

My skimmer filters the debris with the final step being a fine mesh bag that my pump sits in inside the filter currently.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I had the temp 3" feed dumping onto the waterfall of my build the water was untamed and a bit crazy. Once I built the small pond above the waterfall and the water was allowed to disperse first it was far easier to control. Gravity took over and not a water cannon/ fire hose

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
20180722_193740.jpg
When I had the temp 3" feed dumping onto the waterfall of my build the water was untamed and a bit crazy. Once I built the small pond above the waterfall and the water was allowed to disperse first it was far easier to control. Gravity took over and not a water cannon/ fire hose
It actually fills into a basin then flows over a piece of flagstone. Then down onto another piece of flagstone and it has a few rocks that split it.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Ball valves ARE awesome - unless they're not! We had to replace all of ours. Not sure what you mean by "fully enclosed" but our problem was the valves got too stiff to turn by hand and then the handles got brittle and cracked off after the first year. Very frustrating. We bought really heavy duty ones and the plumbing store told us to make sure you lubricate them - we just used Vaseline. Haven't had a problem since.
ill try to take a pic to show what I mean. Lol too bad I probably already tossed the "bad" ones. Occasionally tough to turn, I probably will try Vaseline. Thanks!

Ask a Question