First attempt at a large pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've seen so many warnings on this site about trying to use a sump pump as a pond pump. They are not designed to run 24/7 for years on end. Most people are too stubborn to listen - good for you for not being one of them! There's a reason things are priced the way they are. Trying to find a less expensive alternative is never a bad idea; using a product that's not engineered for your purpose is never a good one!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've seen so many warnings on this site about trying to use a sump pump as a pond pump. They are not designed to run 24/7 for years on end. Most people are too stubborn to listen - good for you for not being one of them! There's a reason things are priced the way they are. Trying to find a less expensive alternative is never a bad idea; using a product that's not engineered for your purpose is never a good one!
Well said and thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a beautiful place you live in! Love the mountains in the distance :)
Thank you. We went chip and Joanna Gains style find the worst house in the nicest area you can afford. Its quite a spectacular view. Though a bit hazy lately.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Picked this up for a crazy deal $2.75 and they are normally 48.00 because of the quality and reusability I thought it would make a great piece for my diy filter. Then I soon realized that it is the same size as the house heater and that there wad only one :( its going in the house now. As a consilation win i also found this 2" H pipe for thr bog for 2.00 pree glued and ready to go.
20180310_222425.jpg
20180310_222507.jpg
20180310_222425.jpg

Attachments

• 20180310_222541.jpg
    20180310_222541.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 168
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Be sure to take measures to protect against run-off, which looks like a potentially severe possibility in your case. That will be a great looking pond and waterfall when it's done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From a liner stand point the liner will fold up behind the rock and be covered. As far as over fill though in terms of a super heavy rain thats a great idea I should create a top drain that runs off into say the garden. Any other ideas. Manual filling will be done through the sprinkler system via a dedicated line so no issues there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I would make sure that the barrier between your pond and that hill is really high. I could easily envision water cascading down and splashing over most ordinary barriers--and carrying things into your pond that you probably don't want there. I've not seen that kind of high, steep hill rising almost directly off a pond before, so I can't say how exactly to handle it, but I'd observe how the water flows the next time it rains--especially a heavy rain. On the flipside, your waterfall will probably be pretty amazing on those days.

I also think you're going to need a very, very powerful pump to move the water up to the top at anything like the rate you hope. That's a serious incline. It's going to look fabulous when it's done, and it's a great spot, but mountains tend to offer unique challenges to almost every kind of situation, not just ponds.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've not seen that kind of high, steep hill rising almost directly off a pond before
My pond is built at the bottom of a steep hill. Around a 25 degree slope. 40 plus feet of nothing but heading down hill. I have the stream running down the slope. Switch back stream,around 85 feet long, with ponds built in.
What I did was, during the build, I went out and watched the water flow every time it rained. I sloped the land so it would direct the run off to flow to either side of the pond.
Also put in a french type drain in a few spots I could not get the perfect slope.

The best stoppage of the run off was using dirt berms, not much bigger than 2-3 inches on up slope edge of the pond, up slope edge of the stream, that bit of dirt directed water to flow where I wanted it to and not into the pond or stream.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would make sure that the barrier between your pond and that hill is really high. I could easily envision water cascading down and splashing over most ordinary barriers--and carrying things into your pond that you probably don't want there. I've not seen that kind of high, steep hill rising almost directly off a pond before, so I can't say how exactly to handle it, but I'd observe how the water flows the next time it rains--especially a heavy rain. On the flipside, your waterfall will probably be pretty amazing on those days.

I also think you're going to need a very, very powerful pump to move the water up to the top at anything like the rate you hope. That's a serious incline. It's going to look fabulous when it's done, and it's a great spot, but mountains tend to offer unique challenges to almost every kind of situation, not just ponds.

Thank you for bringing a perspective that hadn't received a great amount of thought creating drain runoffs as a result of the amount of water that could down the falls via something besides the pump(s). This is definately something to give a different perspective of thought to when considering overflow and drainage. I know I plan to tie an overflow line to the garden.I can deterred the other side of the run off to the bog. Leaving me just with what actually comes down the fall itself that's the one to watch if designed right.

Not sure if you had a chance to read my previous post but I returned the 3 5200 gph sump pumps and purchased the Anjon 12500 (not the 1250)from what I have read it should be up to the task with some pretty impressive specs. If anyone has first hand experience and better yet a video of this bad boy in action I would be excited to see it. I still have the other 3 or 4 (can't remember) submersibles for various possibilities such as bottom drain suction, pulling water into the skimmer and creating some circulation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Definitely follow @addy1's advice on the hill/runoff stuff. She's a pro. The switchback idea, though only a little, could address things a fair bit. Properly constructed, each switchback works as its own diversionary mechanism, at least from what I've observed while hiking.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1's advice on the hill/runoff stuff. She's a pro.
lol a pro in my own back yard. This was my first pond on a steep hill. In building it you see the issues then think out how to correct them.

The switchback stream was my hubbies idea, it worked out great. I added the ponds at each switchback. Small tiny ponds to decent sized ones. All fishless

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Telion I'm enjoying following your project, I hope you'll post a showcase when you're done :)
I certainly will. One bad habit with me though is that I am never done lol but once it is complete ibwill do a showcase. Picked up some more parts in the last couple days. Some tubing for the air stone, some bubbling tubing, I couldn't resist because of the price. I also picked up some valves and compression valves and another piece of 2" pipe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Definitely follow @addy1's advice on the hill/runoff stuff. She's a pro. The switchback idea, though only a little, could address things a fair bit. Properly constructed, each switchback works as its own diversionary mechanism, at least from what I've observed while hiking.

It rained pretty hard today and I didn't really see any specific trouble spots. I really thin we are going to ne okay in this department other than the fact that once the fall has epdm under it and runs into the pond it mightadd to the water level so I do still feel the need for a garden overflow.

Ask a Question