Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
looks awesome!
will the waterfall go between the two trees or follow where the rocks are?
that looks like so much fun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey Tilian if I may add some criticism your shelves look a little narrow for the size boulders you have around the pond are you using smaller boulders and mortaring them in place? I'm still jealous as all hell to that view. And how did you get those boulders up the hill?
The boulders that rim the pond are dug into place so the are larger than they appear but sit further back than they look. Now the other shelves I too think they are narrow but given that there were not any in the initial design (well one I think) I am proud of the work my wife did to great them. And I rilled the other boulders up the hill one boulder at a time with old fashioned will power lol still 2 or 3 to go and one large piece of flag stone for the initial fall. I do still debate the need for a cemented ring around the pond but I guess I will learn that the hard way if need be. As for your pond it seems like you and I are in that gieco commercial where you always get 10 times more out of each day lol its motivating though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's gonna be pretty! I'm just confused why you already have to rocks in place - is that just inspiration to keep you working?
Somewhat yes. Because of the size and how they are dug into place I didn't want to spend time going through the process of trying to figure it out quickly, so I spent weeks getting each one in place this way I can roll them up and then back down on to underlayment with out having to figure out where each one goes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
looks awesome!
will the waterfall go between the two trees or follow where the rocks are?
that looks like so much fun.
Thank you! Hopefully all of the above, I want it to have a middle stream the will go between the trees and two outer that go around them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you! Hopefully all of the above, I want it to have a middle stream the will go between the trees and two outer that go around them
I know how heavy those boulders are you are determined. I would say 9 out of 10 streams or falls aren't half as much work as the pond but dragging all those boulders up by hand now that's a work out. What depth are you shooting for in your pond ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey Tilian if I may add some criticism your shelves look a little narrow for the size boulders you have around the pond are you using smaller boulders and mortaring them in place? I'm still jealous as all hell to that view. And how did you get those boulders up the hill?
I looked again this morning and I see what you mean there are a few closest to the pergola that could go back another foot or so. I think I will tackle that when I out the liner in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know how heavy those boulders are you are determined. I would say 9 out of 10 streams or falls aren't half as much work as the pond but dragging all those boulders up by hand now that's a work out. What depth are you shooting for in your pond ?
Hahaha true and thank you I wish I had enough talent to get bigger ones up there without taking out that tree or the house. I am going to keep it right at 5 feet deep less some 1" cobblestone in the bottom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would use the tree as a chain fall point you may have to re choke a couple times but it would get the job done and not destroy your back.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Nice I like the look your going for with streams coming in and around the existing trees. That is some serious motivation rolling rocks up a hill then digging that big hole by hand. Gives a sense of accomplishment when done though.

When I did my current pond 9 years ago, I started digging it by hand, then gave up too many big sand stone rocks in there. So I got my skid loader to finish digging the general area of the pond. Definitely saved my back and only took less than an hour to do.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Do all your rock moving while you're young. I can't move some of the rocks that I moved 10 years ago!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you. Yes I truly look forward to being able to look back on the fruit of my efforts. I don't know that I had the energy I had 10 or so months ago when I started lol. Those same rocks feel much heavier. I chalk it up to needing to work out more lol.

Got a chance to host Easter and finish (to a degree) the patio. Next years goal will be to have it filled and water running down the waterfall at this time of year.
20180401_164219.jpg
20180401_164234.jpg
Attach7924_20180401_203802.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Such a beautiful place and nice looking boys. Hope they have lots of energy and muscles to help you get this done!
Looks like everyone is enjoying your spot and wait till you get that pond all set up, they will love it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WOW!!!!!!!!! This is going to be fantastic!!!!! You live in Paradise!
Thank you hoping to create my own littlenl slice of paradise. Still a few years out nut making great progress.

Ask a Question