First attempt at a large pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Had some great weather and didn't get a chance to work on the pond. Putting up a new fence took precedence. But the pond is next on the list. View attachment 109936 View attachment 109937
Nothing more beautiful the fresh new green grass with snow caped mountains in the back ground ok maybe some tulips and a pond. oh yeah he's working on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Getting there :) we do have some tulips too just none in any of the shots which is odd because they surround all the trees around the pond. Now to search pics for tulips lol.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Getting there :) we do have some tulips too just none in any of the shots which is odd because they surround all the trees around the pond. Now to search pics for tulips lol.
Going to start thinking of you like Swiss family Robinson IN NICKERS in the alps with those tulips.. lol `

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So I have a couple of ideas bouncing around in my head as I continue to think about how to make the plumbing work out best. I want to reduce the head pressure on the pump as much as possible so I am thinking of placing the pump between the skimmer and the bog. The goal with this will be to reduce the distance the pump had to push the water. It will then suck water from the skimmer and the bottom drain.

The other thought is in this midway location create a pimp chamber that can filter out some of the larger debris similar to what you would see in a waterfall feature...thoughts?
20180429_135844.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I did a fish cave (inspired by The Pond Digger video, too!) and the fish LOVE it! They go in and out just for the heck of it and also go there in really cold weather. I think you will really enjoy having it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is the pump self priming >?
good looking pup
Thank you that's my spoiled brat. It is not but it would stay submerged so water will always be available to it.why do you ask?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you that's my spoiled brat. It is not but it would stay submerged so water will always be available to it.why do you ask?
even if submerge but up a hill if the vacuum is broken you may need extra water to dump into the sump. check valves would be a must.

Instead of a 8 inch piece of pipe i'm leaning toward making a cave with a very wide opening about 24" I have a 48 inch wide flat rock that I'm thinking of using as a roof and cut a depression into one of the shelves I tried digging it out last night but the rain shut me down, Place a one wat bulb facing the back and it should be pretty cool.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
even if submerge but up a hill if the vacuum is broken you may need extra water to dump into the sump. check valves would be a must.
If it is submerged in a container I could understand now how it would not even make sense to have it in a container if it is sucking water strictly from the bottom line and from the skimmer line because it will be contained to those two lines so in order for this to truly work without having to work without having to worry about a vacuum brake I would have to have a small line tapped from the container which would be fed directly from the pond itself similar to a skimmer or a line in with a filter over it correct? Did that make sense?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If it is submerged in a container I could understand now how it would not even make sense to have it in a container if it is sucking water strictly from the bottom line and from the skimmer line because it will be contained to those two lines so in order for this to truly work without having to work without having to worry about a vacuum brake I would have to have a small line tapped from the container which would be fed directly from the pond itself similar to a skimmer or a line in with a filter over it correct? Did that make sense?
I don't think you see what I am referring to I could be mistaken . If there is a power outage and your pump is in a container that is higher then your pond to try and cut down on head pressure. When the power goes out a check valve would be needed to keep the water from back siphoning thus empting out the Lines and storage vat

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
True. I see the misunderstanding. I didn't title where the pump goes in my pic lol. It would be submerged still (the blue box in the pic above but perhaps in like a milk crate surrounded by filter pads or something of that sort (or not if I don't use it as a secondary mechanical filtration point) I will post a better pic.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How far is it to the falls and how high I remember you had hauled those boulders up the hill quite a ways's

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How far is it to the falls and how high I remember you had hauled those boulders up the hill quite a ways's
About 10 feet then about a 18 ft run up. The base of the falls is the elbow point of the purple line to the falls

Ask a Question