First ever pond this summer planned . . .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sissy, I also have started a Word document that I typically have open when I'm reading the GP Forum. That way when I read something interesting, I'll make note of it and sometimes who posted the comment, in case I need to check more on it with that person. :) And, the document is always handy here, never have to go looking for it, or worry the dogs or cats chewed it up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Keith, I just looked at the site you sent, and of course had to look at pics. Wow, some people go all out with their ponds, like entire backyards! Gosh, mine will definitely look like a puddle, but it has definitely grown from the original "formed molded pond" I first thought I would do! I'm up to about 8x10 size and 3' deep "at least 50% of area", thanks to Taherrmann's suggestion, if I will be having Koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Countryescape, when I went on the pond tour there were two converted swimming pools over 10,000 gallons each that were made into ponds. They were amazing ponds but I'm sure a huge job to take care of. I wonder if there is a function of size versus time required. Like for every hundred gallons it's 10 hours more required per year for upkeep and maintenance. My little pond keeps me busy. I can't see having anything much larger to take care of.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
CountryEscape said:
Sissy, I also have started a Word document that I typically have open when I'm reading the GP Forum. That way when I read something interesting, I'll make note of it and sometimes who posted the comment, in case I need to check more on it with that person. :) And, the document is always handy here, never have to go looking for it, or worry the dogs or cats chewed it up.

Good Idea! I have note pad docs in my pond folder, and a ton of bookmarks.
Laughing, once you have this word document done, you need to post it for all of us to see! and use.
I have had small ponds, a 14-15k pond, now working on a approx 10k pond, (not counting the little stream ponds and stream) I have found that once the big pond is set up it is more stable then the little ponds. And the fish are protected more from the weather.

I think you will be happy you have made it bigger, esp going 3 ft deep, mine is about 5-6ish, in the deepest part

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have notes on my note pad but still keep a book this way if I do want to pick it up and take it with me or show it to someone else easy to do and you never know in a panic why to look and if something happens to my puter I still have notes on hand .you never know rather be safe than sorry .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Good ideas Sissy and Addy. I will eventually print out the pages, organize them as to "pond building info" and "filter info" and now "goldfish identification" notes, from the new thread on goldfish pics! Keith, I see that the Central IL group is having their pond tour in July. Sounds like something to put on my calendar! I know there are local ponders, I just have to remember who it is and get in touch. Yes, Keith, those swimming pool ponds are out of my league, but I bet they have some awesome fish! And, if that was all that I found as far as pics, huge ponds, I would have decided against a pond, but there are enough smaller versions that are very nice that has kept me intrigued.

Ask a Question