First Pond build underway

Reaction score
Here is another update.

So the external pump was a no go, it was pushing way more water than my filter could handle. I could have modified the filter and added another return pipe to it, but figured it was best to scrap the external pump idea. The main reason for that was because of design flaws on my end. Because of the location of the bulk head I couldn't get a very good seal on it, so I had a small leak taking place.
I drained the pond. Patched the liner and located the patched area all the way at the top, no risk of leaks this way. I also grabbed Mag Pump (using it internally) and temp plumbed it. This weekend I will work on finishing the plumping and adding a top trim piece.

IMG_20110726_192926.jpg

Tell me what ya think

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think it's lovely and your mom I bet loves it. She can enjoy her fish right there on her porch and easy access. Love the spitting fish :goldfish:

Reaction score
Thank you. Yeah I am a fan of the fish too. I had used that in a water feature a made for her a few years back.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Dr Dave

I have a follow up question.
The pond is roughly 5' x 4' x 2.5' With 350 gallons of water in it. Should I use multiple pumps for circulation, or just 1? Also how much gph of circulation would you recommend?

Reaction score
sorry but multiple pumps in what a relatively small pond is rediculous!

If the fish is your filter return, put the pump in the opposite corner. If debris starts to gather on the pondbed just use a little net to stir things up a bit, sorted.

If you want to buy something else, stick airstones in the centre of the pondbed, will aerate, and pull debris up into the water until caught by the pump. Can switchoff when you are looking at the fish ect. My 25L fed 9" disk on mine keep the bottom spotless.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mental health days where were they when I was working 6 and 7 days a week 10 hours a day .We got 2 weeks vacation the beginning of July and from Christmas to New Years .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If your turning over anything above 700gph one pump is plenty. the airstone suggestion is a great one, wiill help lift particles from the bottm to get them in the pump and filtered out, will add oxygen, will cool the water in te summer and will make a hole in the ice for gas exchange in the winter. I would add air over another pump if anything.

BTW, love your pup!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love your pup, one pump is fine for a pond that size. Mine is around 9-10 k gallons, I have just one main pump for the pond. One small one to run the stream.

Reaction score
Maybe I will do best of both worlds a do a pump with a venturi attachment. Water movement and added oxygen.

I also need to figure out what we will be stocking the pond with. suggestions?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would stick with a small number of goldfish or shubunkins, they can be very pretty and not as demanding as koi.

Ask a Question