First Pond build underway

Reaction score
Yeah I had to add another outlet to the filter tank, because the original was off center and causing the fall to be lobsided. The tank that I am using came out of a house we were renovating (header tank for a central heating system) and allready had a hole in it where the original outlet is, if using a new tank I would go for a weir at the top of the tank, which I think Koiguy makes.

The pump I am using is a submersable, which pumps a 120 ltrs/hr (not sure what that is in gallons), its 200W and a bit of a power hog, but the way the weather is turning it will not be long before it is switched off for winter, and hope to have a more efficient one in time for next spring.

As for the lights I'm looking at getting some to illuminate the waterfall and the surrounds. The filter will be enclosed with stone and capped off with paving stone, the builders merchants will be doing specials on patio stone soon.

I am really enjoying this project, but I think it will be next spring before I start to get the full benefit of it, I've even bought some lotus seeds to germinate next year, after seeing a thread on here.

Thanks

Rory.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice, it does look like a sheet of glass. Great job.

Reaction score
Welcome Superdaft! I love what you are doing. If I had it all to do over (I've been plagued with green water for 8 years) I would have built a bog along with the original pond. I am now in the process of building a Skippy filter, just waiting for the bio media to come in the mail. Also waiting for media and bio media for my waterfall filter. My waterfall filter is way too small for my pond.
If this doesn't work, I will be building a bog in the Spring.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love my bog, the plants it grows the clear water. They are easy to build a hole, liner and some way for the water to go from the pond to bog and back.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
OK LOL Thought I did it wrong dug instead of build .I guess though it could be called building a hole if you did the pond above ground

Reaction score
Too funny!! I think I will be digging or building a hole in the Spring for a bog...my water needs all the help it can get! What kind of stone is that in your waterfall, Superdaft?

Reaction score
The stone that the water runs off is a piece of marble, I rescued it from an old fireplace which was going to be skipped, the surrounding stone is local sandstone.

Reaction score
Hmmmm...I'm looking for something like that to re-create my waterfall overflow...my rocks just aren't cutting it. Do you think that 1/2" acrylic or 1/2" HDPE (the same stuff that restaurants use for their cutting boards) would work? I found a site that will cut the HDPE to your size for a good price, and it's black too!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hmmmm...I'm looking for something like that to re-create my waterfall overflow...my rocks just aren't cutting it. Do you think that 1/2" acrylic or 1/2" HDPE (the same stuff that restaurants use for their cutting boards) would work? I found a site that will cut the HDPE to your size for a good price, and it's black too!

I don't see why not, neat idea. Rocks are tough to get a good waterfall drop, you need a sharp edge, tipped right, no back, side flow lol.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
baeya..
HDPE is what your stocktank, and weir are made of, and the 55 gal barrels as well....i'd bet i can beat their price!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
baeya..
HDPE is what your stocktank, and weir are made of, and the 55 gal barrels as well....i'd bet i can beat their price!!

He makes great weir's baeya..........
If I needed one would be getting one of his.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
aww okie! well you still do good work on them

Ask a Question