First Pond in Washington

Reaction score
Thank You addy andI spent most of today with a trash pump and manually scooping out a lot of the gunk on the bottom.......but it feels like I have not gotten anywhere. there is still a lot of silt at the bottom. I think this is a natural pond with no liner.

So i need the advice from everyone here. I have a green water problem and all the stuff on the bottom. what do you think is the best next step?
-add a perimeter bog section
-add the stream and bog
-continue trying to get as much silt out as possible
-or some other option I have not thought of?

Also a side question. if I do a perimeter bog I would like to use my current pump to add flow to the bog. I will sink some pipe with holes drilled in it to add a little flow. does it matter how long the pipe section is? will it put to much head on the pump?

thank you again for all the help and the compliments.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If I was to do mine over I would add a stream and a bog for good flow and filtration. I'd continue to get out the gunk and silt.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love my bog, it keeps my pond greenless. My bog is large, full of plants. The steam, a bog will help. Might even clear up the green without a uv light needed. A lot use the uv light for the green water issue, I don't.

I use my pond pump for the bog (no other filter) you can direct some of the water through your bog and stream. My bog pipes are on the bottom and direct water up through the gravel and plants.

I would look around the edges of your pond, if there is a liner you will find it easier than on the bottom if there is a lot of muck.

Reaction score
i have not posted in awhile. I finally had time to dig out my stream.

I have dug out a 25 foot stream that starts in a 5 by 5 bog section. that flows down a short 3 foot section of stream that is one foot wide to another 5 by 5 bog section. this bog flows out a waterfall into a small pool and then into the pond.

I think I will be going with THIS pump that flows 8500 gallons. I think I will have about 10 to 15 feet of vertical head. I will put a valve so I can adjust the flow in the stream.

I will pick up a firestone pond liner to line the stream.

I was wondering if this is a good pump?

I was also wondering what piping you recommend. I see that it has a 2" intake and outlet. I was wondering if rigid or flexible is better for this application.

Thank You for all the help

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I stick with rigid, have a bit of the flexible, don't like it at all.

My slope is steep, the line empties when I pull the pump for the winter.

Reaction score
Thank you again for all the help. I have received my external pump and liner. Now I need to install it. That's my weekend project.

I was wondering what the best intake would be?

I plan on having my intake run to my priming pot then the output will go to a Y with a valve allowing me to change the flow rate in the river. at the top of the river I will have a bog section so I'll build a manifold and have a pipe or two under the pea gravel with holes drilled to fill the bog and flow down the river from there.

For the part where the pipe goes through the liner I think I'll cut a hole smaller then my pipe and caulk the pipe and press it through the hole. I think I saw that on this forum. Can't remember who said it but that seams the easiest.

I should have pictures up after this weekend

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was a wimp, put mine over the edge.

Reaction score
What is it you put over the end of the inlet? Is there a grate I should use or should I just drill a bunch of holes in a PVC pipe?

Also should I have the inlet point straight up or at a 45 degree angle to the bottom

I know I need to keep The inlet out of the bottom junk but what's the best way to do that?

Reaction score
I finally got my river put in. it took a lot longer then i thought but I think it turned out good. now or next spring I need to focus on getting more bog plants and some more KOI. It is not completely finished. i still need to finish up the edging and find a good way to cover my pump and pump box but here are some pictures.

view looking from the side of my deck
2012-09-14_17-49-48_457.jpg

view from top of river
2012-09-14_17-50-21_74.jpg

view of the middle of the river
2012-09-14_17-50-35_354.jpg

view of the final waterfall and last pool before entering the pond.
2012-09-14_17-50-44_738.jpg

I get a lot of splashing off the last waterfall. what is a good way to reduce this? should I change the flow? or place more rocks on the waterfall?

Reaction score
Very Nice! Hiya there :wave: im not sure, im having trouble with splashing on my falls too :th_scratch: im loosing water, but i dont think there is a leak in the falls; i fixed that, i just think its flowing way too fast. On yours, i would think that you need to get plants in there and that should help a lot. Lots of the gals on here swear by sedges/ grasses and such to clean up the algae and keep it away. They suck up all the neutrients in the water and there is nothing left for the algae to use :) something like that lol.
It looks great! you got some nice ferns i see there, looks very nice!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks really nice and I agree, more plants would prolly help. I don't have a stream in my pond so who am I to talk :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
looks good and like the little plant pond areas you built into your waterfall .I think that will really help in keeping the water clean .If you can get hold of lemon grass grab it because it is a great cleaner of water and air and a natural bug repellant .Also the smell is just so good .

Ask a Question