First summer with pond plants. Now fighting algae.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This summer has brought out algae and that black slimy algae on the rocks. I scrape the rocks with a boat brush but the algae comes back within a week. I live in the high desert in Nevada so it's hot and sunny with low humidity.

It's been suggested I used Aquascape Algaecide to combat the algae but even though it says it's safe for use with plants, I am worried it might damage my plants (lilies, iris, grasses). Will I be OK using the algaecide?

THANK YOU for any input.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you have any plants in the pond (other than lilies), such as floaters, and do you have fish? Plants will compete with the algae and can help to greatly reduce unwanted algae. Most on here don’t recommend adding chemicals, especially if you have fish. Adding more plants will usually help with the algae.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you have any plants in the pond (other than lilies), such as floaters, and do you have fish? Plants will compete with the algae and can help to greatly reduce unwanted algae. Most on here don’t recommend adding chemicals, especially if you have fish. Adding more plants will usually help with the algae.
I have no floating plants but in addition to two lily plants I have an iris and two in-water grass pots. I have 5 mature goldfish and 7 fry.

Yes, I am concerned about the health of my fish (esp. the little ones) and my plants if I use algaecide.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Black slimy algae on rocks is biofilm - there's no need to remove it. A pond needs to have a certain level of algae to be healthy. If it gets out of balance (which usually happens with string algae or free floating single cell algae) you may need to address it, but algae on rocks is a plus, not a minus. The fact that it bounces right back is a good sign that your pond needs it and wants it. Remember - it's a pond not a pool.

Algaecide - no thanks. While your plants and fish may survive, you'll kill off all the tiny microscopic life that inhabits your pond. And you leave your pond full of dead algae - which only feeds more algae.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Black slimy algae on rocks is biofilm - there's no need to remove it. A pond needs to have a certain level of algae to be healthy. If it gets out of balance (which usually happens with string algae or free floating single cell algae) you may need to address it, but algae on rocks is a plus, not a minus. The fact that it bounces right back is a good sign that your pond needs it and wants it. Remember - it's a pond not a pool.

Algaecide - no thanks. While your plants and fish may survive, you'll kill off all the tiny microscopic life that inhabits your pond. And you leave your pond full of dead algae - which only feeds more algae.
Thank you for this info. My OCD had me wanting to scrub the rocks until they looked like the day the pond was built. I will let nature take its course.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree! Please, please do not try to get that algae off. Our pond looked like pea soup in spring last year until the plants, other algaes, some string algae etc starting taking off. This year no issues. Also, that algae gives the fish something to nibble on for a quick snack.
I too am OCD and early this spring I just couldn't take the huge mat of stuff that was on all the river/pond stone so I decided to do something. My pond store advocates going in and doing a "deep" cleaning (whatever that means) but people on this site advocate agains that so I thought I'm going to design my own protocol.

My pond is a rectangle and the three non waterfall sides have an 8 inch shelf and a 16 inch shelf along the edges which is where my stones are. So I started with one side and only one level, pulled out all the stones, scrubbed them clean with pond water NOT city water (they looked so pretty going from dark green to a brilliant white/cream color!) and placed them back. The dark gunk water went right into my arbor vitaes nearby and they are flourishing! Next week I repeated the process for the next patch of shelf (total 6 shelves, 3 shallow and 3 a little deeper) and after six weeks I felt better. Of course, all of the stones are covered with stuff again (which is not a bad thing, mind) BUT I feel better!

Ask a Question