First time into free form pond, need suggestions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I guess I'm the only one that allows the bullfrogs to stay in my pond. I have at least 2 that have survived the winter, saw them swimming around when my pond was about drained by broken pipe. They are allowed to stay, as I see them catching bugs all the time, never yet seen them go after a baby fish. And, the 4 baby koi I spotted last summer and watched as they grew, are all still accounted for! They are about 4" now, saw them all last weekend, they hang out together. Thought there was a 5th one with them, but it's a black goldie that is changing colors, was similar to their color patterns. Got excited for a minute there, thinking there was a lurking 5th one that I'd never seen. Each is similar, and each is different, but now they have changed color patterns some, so I will have to learn each one again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Fishy, are you talking about tagging the bullfrogs or turtles? I think it would be neat to tag a turtle, see if it stays or comes back. I'm afraid one tried (and probably succeeded) in burrowing down into my bog a year ago, causing the tear that caused a leak in my koi pond bog last spring. I don't necessarily want them in there, but they are welcome to stay if they can do it with no damage to my liner. Otherwise, I assume they leave and find mud somewhere to burrow into, then are drawn back to the water. I have the farm pond, too, so not sure why they come to my koi pond instead! I love it, though. Always fun to have them come on their own accord to visit my ponds. Bullfrogs I'm finding out stay, or at least some of them do. I had probably 8-10 large ones last year. I know they would eat baby fish, it's just trying to figure out how they could possible catch them once they are about 1" long that I cannot fathom. They are not fast swimmers, and the little tykes can surely out maneuver them. No worries here, though, I let nature take it's course. Don't need 100 baby koi swimming around my pond every summer. I know the fish eat the majority of the eggs and fry, too, so why not let the turtles and frogs have a few. LOL

Reaction score
Lol I was joking really, idk how you would possibly tag a frog and it stay on it lol. Don't have turtles, that's one ting I've not introduced or that havent found the ponds yet. Might be interesting though to have a few baby sliders:)

Reaction score
Thanks for the fish offer, but haven't even gotten close to breaking ground yet. I did have leopard frogs in my preformed pond and they did eat the fish. Saw one with the tail still sticking out of his mouth.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh don't tag a turtle my son did that and that stupid turtle haunted me for years .Son put our phone number on it's shell and people kept calling me we found your turtle and I would pick him up (felt guilty i did not want to say no to people ) or people would return him .For 8 years and last year was it for me took him and buffed the number off his shell .He had a turtle wax finish when i was done with him . :LOL:
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:46284]

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Birdman, I'm sure all types of large frogs will eat tiny fish, especially in a small area. In my large pond, I think they would have to be pretty crafty. I see my bullfrogs line up on the far wall, or on the lily pads, waiting for bugs to land or get close to the water, then they leap out after them. I love tossed in bugs that destroy my flowers or plants. The frogs and koi appreciate the free meal. :) I know people have seen bullfrogs with a bird in their mouth, too. I would guess that would be more likely, as they are made for jumping high and fast to capture bugs or anything else that gets in their range. I just find it hard to believe that they are fast enough to catch a 1" baby, after they get to that size, they are pretty smart to the dangers around them. :razz:
Sissy, that box turtle must have enjoyed being around people to have been found that many times for so many years! That's a cute story.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh I hated when people called and said they found my turtle and farthest he got was about 30 miles from my home and not sure how but he ended up in Blairs VA ,I did not want to be rude to the people .Yeh ce think my small pond and the waterfall area was the bullfrogs feeding area .Never would have known until i saw it my self .I thought maybe the babies were hiding some where else or aggie and bert ate them .

Ask a Question