fish are chasing chasing chasing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I used to get it really bad when I was a kid, but haven't gotten any for a very long time. I'm sure I have been around it, too, since I like to mushroom hunt, but don't get it any more. Knock on wood! It's awful to get. Do you get that prednisone (sp?) to take care of it, or use OTC stuff? I always had to get the prescription or it took weeks to get rid of. That stuff is amazing! Poison ivy would be gone completely in 2 days. I guess I'm really bad at itching, so had to do something or I would have been full of scars.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The last bad episode, winter, working on the front yard plant bog, backed into a root sticking out of the ground, I had the welts from mid back down, It was red and inflamed for around 2 months. Usually just take benadryl, never thought of going to the doc for something I get alot lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
The prednisone is a steroid, but it works FAST, dries it up, and takes away the itching. It's really weird how you take it. Something like 2 pills 2X a day then 1.5 pills 2X a day for 2 days and it keeps reducing the dose until you are taking just a half pill. I never knew this, but it's dangerous to simply stop taking the prednisone. I always did that, and kept the remaining pills for the next outbreak. LOL But, it can really mess with you if you stop abruptly. The pills are really tiny, too! And, they are cheap, as I recall, and well worth getting rid of the stuff.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I was told that taking the prednisone for just a few days and then stopping won't hurt you but if you take it long term then you need to wean yourself off of it. I took it for 6 months and had to wean off of it. It's good for inflammation and made me feel like Superwoman. I could ride my bike up steep hills and take a licken and keep on ticken but knew if you continue to keep taking it for a really long time it has some bad side effects so stopped it. That was prolly 20 yrs ago.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Prednisone is also used to treat bee stings. Found that out last year! I am allergic to benedryl so now keep a bottle of prednisone at hand. I'm hoping the yellow jackets are not around this year!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Benedryl seems to work for me for bees and poison ivy. Now thinking this outbrake was not the ivy, it was from something from working on the siding. I am allergic to something that got released as we tore it apart. I know I react to fiberglass, didn't see any of it though. Now arms, back, chest etc broken out and I had long pants and long sleeve shirt on. Well at least we are done. I took benadryl again last night outbreak going away slowly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
First time I had itching really bad, it was some sap that got on me that was like black tar. Of course, I didn't know it was sap, though it was tar, tried to rub it off ... got it rubbed in instead. I think it was poison sumac or something like that. Got some type of steroid shot that time, after suffering with it for a week. After that I learned about the pills and used them each time after. It gets rid of anything that itches, as it dries up the sores.
Glad the benedryl is working. Hope you figure out what it was and don't get around that again!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
OH how I hate poison ivy!! and it hates me right back! Predinisone and benedryl is what I have to use and it still lasts with me for a good 2-3 weeks...avoid it liket he plague now!! Found out where it was in our yard and didn't even realize it! Was climbing our utility pole and was such an old vine it never donned on me that that's what it was! Called the city to kill it for me and it better NOT be back or they are getting another call from me! Amazing I grew up on a farm and always out in the fields yet never got it until I was 25 out pickin sweet corn...bad news from there on out...nasty stuff and I love to camp but will not venture out into real wooded/grassy areas anymore. Good luck addy! Keep your fingernails trimmed and swat the itchy stuff dont scratch it!!

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Prednisone is also used to treat bee stings. Found that out last year! I am allergic to benedryl so now keep a bottle of prednisone at hand. I'm hoping the yellow jackets are not around this year!
.Me too. I hate those things.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
oh Addy I hope it goes away as quickly as that nasty stuff seems to arrive. My ex used to get it so bad that he got a prednisone shot and it would last most of the summer. I feel for anyone who is allergic to poisin ivy or anything that of that nature. Hope your feeling better soon.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our yard is surrounded by the stuff, I don't walk into our woods or get near the honey suckle that is growing on all the old farm fence. The ivy is over 8 feet tall there and darn healthy. When mowing I always mow so the grass clippings that get thrown don;t get blown back on me, cause if they touch the ivy then come back and touch me I get it.

Ask a Question