Fish can't hover

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No. Or no idea who the supplier is. I did ask a few of the local pond places who thier suppliers are. None were BWC.

The reason behind my questions is fish over generations become adapted to the general climate of an area. Fish bred and raised at a Northern hatchery will be adapted to Northern winters whereas those fish bred and raised in Southern hatcheries such as Blackwater Creek are adapted to warmer waters and mild winters. In fish sciences this is called a "preferendum" and any large variance from it may cause chronic stress and immunological issues in the subject fish.
When buying fish for a pond, it is always better to purchase fish that are bred and raised in the same or similar climate as the target pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks. I was wondering where you were going with this. So this fish was bought from a pet store tank, presumably he was meant to live out his life inside. Aquascape, which is where some of my fish come from, uses Koubec Koi from Iowa, which is certainly similar. Others I forget.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So this fish was bought from a pet store tank, presumably he was meant to live out his life inside

Not necessarily. It depends on the prevailing climate of the hatchery they came from. But, if they came from a Northern hatchery and are kept in a tank where the water temperature is warmer than what they are adapted to, they will be weakened fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
For fish from black water creek... make sure you add them in early summer not spring as the temperature in Florida is high and the fish is not used to the cold.

Ask a Question