Fish can't hover

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a shubunkin which doesn't seem to be able to hover after coming out of winter. This was one of two fish that were lying on their sides earlier in the spring. One of those fish died, this one survived. I thought this one did too because I hadn't seen it for a while. But its always on the bottom of the pond, upright, but not really moving. Yesterday it did push itself up to the surface to grab a pellet or two of food, but then went back to the bottom.

I suppose something is wrong with its swim bladder. Anything I can do about it? Any chance it will just recover?

I've had this fish about for about 2 years, but this was its first winter outside since previously I had a container pond I brought inside for the winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I hope your fish makes it. We have a shubunkin who does this every spring. Everyone else is swimming around and this guy is basically laying on a shelf. It CAN swim - it just doesn't. I've been sure it was going to die more than once. And then one day - BOOM - swimming just like normal and it's fine again until the next spring. Just lazy maybe? Slower to come out of the cold season? No clue.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Take it out and set up another place for it with an airstone in the tank

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
He seems much better. He may be a bit more unsure on his fins than the other fish, but I doubt I'd notice had he not been acting so strangely before. And I think it's a "he" because I've seen him chasing other fish in the pond as they all seem to be doing this week.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Some fish don't do well in cold water. This may vary season to season. I doubt there is much to do about it.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
He seems much better. He may be a bit more unsure on his fins than the other fish, but I doubt I'd notice had he not been acting so strangely before. And I think it's a "he" because I've seen him chasing other fish in the pond as they all seem to be doing this week.

Did you acquire this fish independent of the others? From a different source?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Did you acquire this fish independent of the others? From a different source?

Yeah, this is one of my three original fish which came from a Petsmart. He's pretty, what Blackwater creek would call a sky blue shubunkin. I'll see if I can find a photo.

All the rest came from various pond or pet stores and were sold as pond fish. I had one casualty during quarantine from that batch and five fish with anchor worms from the retail store of a well known pond equipment manufacturer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here he is from July just before he was added to the pond.

Attachments

• Nature & Pond-579bd3f4.jpg
    Nature & Pond-579bd3f4.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 227
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Photos? I'm considering buying a 7 pack of their "special" fish this year. I want to add a few more and the options are to be very choosy about what I buy locally or have them shipped.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No. Or no idea who the supplier is. I did ask a few of the local pond places who thier suppliers are. None were BWC.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
BTW, how do you put your name on your pictures?

I use Lightroom to "export" the photos I post and you can create a watermark in Lightroom. It can be text and or image and I digitized a copy of my signature to get the one you see.

Ask a Question