Fish Deaths

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have recently replaced my old pond in my garden which was lined with pond lining and have installed a pre-formed plastic pond. Although i'm not new to having a pond i have ever tired out a pre-formed pond. I had 3 existing fish in the pond before and i added these plus 7 more to the new pond. These 10 consisted of Koi, Goldfish and Shubunkins. Once i had filled the new pond with water i added some solution i purchased from the fish shop to keep the fish healthy. After this i put the bag on the water and left for half and hour and slowly let them in the water. Everything was fine for a few days until one of the goldfish died. I thought it was down to shock perhaps. A week later i added a few more fish to the pond. These seemed to settle in fine again, until i found one dead. This time it was a Koi that had died, one of the new ones, again i put this down to the shock. 2 days later the whole pond has died out! The fish seemed fine until the Koi died. They had been in there a few days before the first death so surely it rules out shock? I have heard that the pre-formed plastic liners are poisonous but it did take a good 2 weeks for this poison to kill the fish if this is the case? I thought that perhaps one of the new fish i purchased had a decease and infected all the other fish. They did seem to be short of breathe before they died. Any advice would be brilliant as i'm not sure what to do to get a healthy pond back. Many Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
did you test your water levels, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph etc? It sounds as if your ammonia levels, possibly, got high. How big is your preform pond? That is a lot of fish for a new pond that needs to cycle.

What kind of air flow did you have going? air pump, water fall...........etc

Reaction score
I'm not sure how to test water levels, it has never been a problem for me before now. The pond is 59 litres in volume. I added some water treatment to start with in the hope it would settle the water. It does surprise me that the fish died very suddenly. I do have a Fountain and Filter to go in the pond this week which might help?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You need both, the filter for sure, get it up and running, wait for a week if not more, then add just two fish.

59 liters is about 15 gallons, that size of pond can handle around 2-3 small goldfish, that will grow too big for the pond.

You can buy a test kit to use for testing your water.

Reaction score
Okay thank you for your advice. I will get both of them running asap and follow what you have said. I'l post back in here if there are any problems. Many thanks

Ask a Question