Fish disappeared from pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm sorry to hear this! A heron found my pond and of course, ate the biggest, prettiest, and most interesting fish!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Roughly 2.4 metres wide by 2 metres long . Deepest part is 0.6 metres but its shelved and the deepest part is only small. I plan on raising the pond by about 0.2 metres and making the deep part a little bit bigger. By doing so I estimate to roughly double the size of the pond and as it'll be higher than ground level it will be easier to keep clean as less sediment with run off

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've had fish get themselves trapped in the skimmer and then live under the pumps for who knows how long. Enough food apparently drifts in there for them to survive. I've also had fry get into the same situation, but they get sucked up the pumps. I have filtration in the waterfall, so that generally means the end, but once I found a fry in the stream between the waterfall and the pond, so it must have made the full journey. This wouldn't happen with a big fish, though.

To just re-iterate what others have said, it could well turn up in the future after being in some odd nook. On the flip side, I've had herons eat fish through the netting, so don't necessarily assume it's NOT an evil heron just on that basis.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
You said your net was high which caught my attention. Most likely a heron. I netted high one year to avoid frogs getting caught. and the heron went under the net. Not a Blue heron, but a white smaller heron.

Ask a Question