Fish disappeared from pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted over winter about my largest goldfish whos scales seemed to be changing colour. Yesterday I did a spring clean of the pond. Put the UV back on. Noticed I couldn't see that fish. It was there two nights ago when I fed them. I looked under all plants, wherever I could and their is no sign. It's a large goldfish so the only explanation is something has took it

I had a net over the top but it was high up on top of decking. I plan on netting over some rebar I have directly over the pond. My guess is its a cat. That fish was over 10 years old. It was very docile and slow which is why it probably got caught. The other 4, 3 are shubs and 1 a comet. They are quite fast. I'm gutted. My guess is it was a cat with the pond being netted on top. It got between rocks then under the net

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bummer I lose fish now and then not sure if they just die are on the bottom somewhere. My pond is Heron netted, I did have snakes snacking on some last year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lots of animals will snag a fish given the chance - raccoons, mink, fishers. We lost two to a skunk one year. We've even spotted a pair of river otter in our neighborhood pond the last couple of years - I'm sure they'd love a big tasty goldfish if they had a chance.

But don't lose hope - we had a goldfish that would disappear on the regular and every time we thought she was gone for good she would reappear. Where'd she go? Who knows!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in the UK so I'd say its more limited what would get them. With it being netted on top and the net not damaged that eliminates birds. For me it's either a cat or rat but a cats favourite. Someone probably woke up with my lovely fish on their doorstep. The only place it can be is under the pump and if it is I'd say its dead. Its only a small pond. So frustrating I had no net over until October and they were all fine. Coming out of winter and into spring. It survived winter as well. I'm gutted!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
After seeing a Fisher here, I got concerned about the fish in the pond. So I looked them up.

In spite of their name, they don't eat fish! They eat small mammals, so they are not a problem for the pond.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like I said in the UK I'd be guessing it's a rat or a cat. I'd be shocked if a rat got away with a fish in its mouth. Which is why I'm guessing it's a cat. I'm annoyed with myself for not netting the bottom and I'm annoyed because the fish kept just sitting at the edge of the pond and wouldn't move. How all the others scarpered that would just still sit there. I should have realised it was an easy target and netted just over the pond. The others I only got last year but we'd had that one for 10 plus years

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It would have been easy pickings for any predator, fox, raccoon, any predatory bird, any number of things. No way to know for sure.

Sorry for the loss, especially a fish you had had so long.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that . Great screening is window screening . No frogs or little birds can be trapped by window screening

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
So sad...we all love our fish so much and can definitely sympathize with you...Especially a ten year old one! So sorry:cry:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is window screening? I plan on putting a net on for now. Be a pain for me when it comes to cleaning the pump and doing water changes but if it acts as a deterrent then I can't ask for much else

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd checked everywhere. I'm 99.9999999% sure it's gone. Bit off topic but my ponds only small with the 4 fish. I plan on making it deeper early next year. So would I be able to replace the one goldfish or would I have to get 2 as they'll be tiny and theirs already 4 established fish in the pond

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Size and numbers won’t matter at this point. They are going to grow and reproduce.

Just curious…. You said you are going to make it deeper, but what are the length and width dimensions, and how many gallons?

Ask a Question