Fish disease on 3 of my koi

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks for the info. This guy has been showing this since July and not getting any better. PP is very hard to find, no fish stores have it. Might be on the banned list. 5 years ago I found only one location a drug store, now probably not.

I have .3 salt now and temps in the 60's F. 50% water change. If no improvments in next week, I'll sedate and take better photos.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Tricodina

"Infected fish have a grayish film on their skin and gills, along with white, pin-head sized bumps or lesions. The fish will also gasp for air at the surface. Other symptoms may include flashing, scraping, and weight loss."

May not be this as none of the symptoms match.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
When tricodina attacks a fish the skin is how can I say broken by the parasite look at your fish , you see the pink areas well thats what says its Tricodena before it became bare like that it had to be either black white or red but not pink clear skin which you see here .
Look at the condition of the fish as a whole and how its presenting itself too you tricodena presents as follows Flashing flicking and rubbing as they try to releave themselves the irritation caused by the parasite .
This behavour can lead to Pysical damage which in turn leads to secondary ifection from bacteria and fungus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well done you are half way right in saying this but you missed out the skin damage and much late the ulcerations.
capewind was the first to say it now we will because it is imperative you treat your fish sharpish before much more damage is done to them .

When tricodina attacks a fish the skin is how can I say broken by the parasite look at your fish , you see the pink areas well thats what says its Tricodena before it became bare like that it had to be either black white or red but not pink clear skin which you see here it takes a huge infection to cause this type of damage..

Look at the condition of the fish as a whole and how its presenting itself too you tricodena presents as follows Flashing flicking and rubbing as they try to releave themselves the irritation caused by the parasite .

This behavour can lead to Pysical damage which in turn leads to secondary ifection from bacteria and fungus..

Other than all of the above the fish will start to float just bellow the surface some will seem emaciated i;e looking as though its body is too large for the fish,thekoi will also develope a whitish appearance especially around the head area,in worst case senario the fish will become totally covered in this exess mucus it may start to shake its head vary rapidly from side to side as if it was trying to clear some sort of blockage .

With gill infestations the fish becomes very lethargic and weakthey at this stage should be being drawn towards you drain or skimmer.

If left un treated it will kill your fish your going to need PP to treat them beacuse the salt load at 44ib per 220 gallons (.20 kg of salt per 1000 ltrs for between 10 - 20 minutes ({the recomended dose rate) just is going to ruin everything in the pond as thats a heavy load od salt , that the has to be removed ,

thats why PP is the recomended treatment at a dose rate of 1.5g p[er 1,000 ltrs or 22 gallons.

PP is one of the easiest things to buy anywhere come on are you telling me its even banned from Canadian schools ?

However if you dont think its this do your own thing and your fish will die rather quickly but I'm going to remind you of the initial symptoms you presented with if thats ok wayne ...

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Now this area on the gills is on both of them. It at first looked like it was coming off in strands. It has stopped now, but will not go away.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd fish has cloudy film over entire body.
-----------------------------------------

3rd fish has some weird scale disease that started at the head and progressed to mid body. Looks like top layer has rubbed off and looks raw.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All are eating and appear healthy otherwise. As soon as I catch them I'll post pics.

Thks for any help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thats what you presented with and is what matches most if not all of the Trichodina symptoms.
Wayne there has to be another treatment for your problem other than PP or salt perhaps ask around some of the Canadian koi Dealerships as to what they use to combat this because they are in the same boat if they cant get PP and dont like using huge amounts of salt ?
So if you see my logic they have to use somthing ?

rgrds

Dave

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks Dave, I think I see improvments on all of them with .3 salt and water temps at 20C.

I will continue close observation.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well, happy to say the biggest guy healed up 100% and is back in the pond. One guy has white spots or maybe missing scales. The other died from drastic temp change over winter as I unplugged a heater by mistake. Looks like no disease as I gave no treatments other then salt and higher temps.

Don't even think about mentioning rock removal, it just aint going to happen!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6668a.jpg
    IMG_6668a.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_6674a.jpg
    IMG_6674a.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_6676.JPG
    IMG_6676.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_6679a.jpg
    IMG_6679a.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I'm glad too, thanks. The big guy was so happy to be back in the pond. He fit in with the crowd in no time like he never was gone.

Before releasing the other one I'll try and take some pics and get opinions.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Could you have some type of bacteria in your pond that is causing this .I know the people that made a big boo boo with the liner had sick fish and they looked near dead when I put them in my stock tanks .I got uv lights and filtered the water .I also salted the water and had them for over a month until they got a 45 mil liner to replace a 6 mil piece of plastic they put in the ground .Plus they had no filter and the pond was in sun ( temps here in the high 90's during this time ) and they had a small pump for the size pond they had .The fish looked healthy as ever when I took them back today .

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks Sissy.

Here are 4 pics of the guy with white spots. Looks to me as missing scales and some scrapes. Wondering why after 10 months they didn't get replaced? I don't think it's a disease as it did not transfer to the koi I put in the pond.

Disease or not?

Thks
Kelly

Attachments

• IMG_6711.jpg
    IMG_6711.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_6712.JPG
    IMG_6712.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_6714.JPG
    IMG_6714.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_6715.JPG
    IMG_6715.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 287

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Turns out that these spots are just missing scales and scrapes, no disease. And that on the low quality koi such as this discoloration of pigments can happen also. So back into the pond yesturday and was very happy and eating like a horse!

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The black specs on the photos is just stuff floating in the water, thanks.

Ask a Question