Fish dying as water is turning colder

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Do you have any idea how much baking soda to add for 8000 gallons of water?
What I've always used was 1 cup per 1000 gallons (so 8 cups in your case) Mix in a bucket full of pond water to dissolve, then pour it in. Wait 24 hours, retest kh levels, and repeat once a day until levels are where you want them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To raise the KH 1 drop (17.86ppm) in 8000 gallons you would need 1.67 pounds of baking soda.

So it would depend on how much you want to raise the KH level.

It would be good to go slowly and not dump it all in at once, since it will raise the pH as well. You don't want a big jump there.

When the pH gets to around 8 you can add as much as you need to get the KH where you want it to be, and the pH won't go up significantly at that point, only to 8.2 or 8.3. And yes, mix it with water before putting it in your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What I've always used was 1 cup per 1000 gallons (so 8 cups in your case) Mix in a bucket full of pond water to dissolve, then pour it in. Wait 24 hours, retest kh levels, and repeat once a day until levels are where you want them.
Thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
To raise the KH 1 drop (17.86ppm) in 8000 gallons you would need 1.67 pounds of baking soda.

So it would depend on how much you want to raise the KH level.

It would be good to go slowly and not dump it all in at once, since it will raise the pH as well. You don't want a big jump there.

When the pH gets to around 8 you can add as much as you need to get the KH where you want it to be, and the pH won't go up significantly at that point, only to 8.2 or 8.3. And yes, mix it with water before putting it in your pond.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That would be fine. I have a closed pressure system and my filter works best with that level of KH. Anywhere between 150 and 200 would be good. But even higher isn't a problem. It's very forgiving, so it's not so critical to have an exact number.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Is this a natural pond that has slopping sides as chemicals can travel by air and by run off .Do you have an aerator .What is the pond bottom like .I put a hose on the bottom of my pond that pumps water up from the very bottom of the pond .But Ohio is much colder than I am .Do you take the temperature of the pond water at the deepest and the shallow parts .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm glad you've ordered the baking soda. If you live near a Sam's Club or Costco, you can buy it enlarge quantities there as well.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your fish, do you have a plan to retrieve their dead bodies, so they don't decompose in your pond water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm glad you've ordered the baking soda. If you live near a Sam's Club or Costco, you can buy it enlarge quantities there as well.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your fish, do you have a plan to retrieve their dead bodies, so they don't decompose in your pond water?
I have taken the dead fish out, at least the ones I can see. Added my first dose of baking soda today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That would be fine. I have a closed pressure system and my filter works best with that level of KH. Anywhere between 150 and 200 would be good. But even higher isn't a problem. It's very forgiving, so it's not so critical to have an exact number.
Added my first dose of baking soda this morning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Is this a natural pond that has slopping sides as chemicals can travel by air and by run off .Do you have an aerator .What is the pond bottom like .I put a hose on the bottom of my pond that pumps water up from the very bottom of the pond .But Ohio is much colder than I am .Do you take the temperature of the pond water at the deepest and the shallow parts .
I built the pond. It is completely lined with rocks. I do have an aerator.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know here the county sprays and you can smell it by my house and I have to tarp my pond .They put a tag on your mail box to let you know when they spray out by the highway .I can only smell it if the wind is blowing my way .But my neighbors here will spray and I have no idea when or what they are spraying .Most do spray liquid manure from the cow farm neighbor

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I know here the county sprays and you can smell it by my house and I have to tarp my pond .They put a tag on your mail box to let you know when they spray out by the highway .I can only smell it if the wind is blowing my way .But my neighbors here will spray and I have no idea when or what they are spraying .Most do spray liquid manure from the cow farm neighbor
Gee, I never thought of that. I don't have anyone close to me that I know of that sprays. Why would it just now affect the fish? They were fine all summer, but as soon as we got that cold spell is when they started having trouble.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Extremes on either end are more stressful to fish - both cold and hot can exacerbate issues they may be having.

How are your remaining fish looking today? Any more signs of any struggling?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Extremes on either end are more stressful to fish - both cold and hot can exacerbate issues they may be having.

How are your remaining fish looking today? Any more signs of any struggling?
They are looking much better. The weather was in the 50's for a couple of days, so that really helped. I added my second dose of baking soda late yesterday. So I will take another reading when I get home tonight. I took 6 drops the first time I read it and that was 50 to 100 PPM. Yesterday when I took a reading it took 7 drops which was 100 to 200PM. So I'm guessing it is still on the low side. It will probably take a few applications to bring it up closer to 200.

Ask a Question