Fish dying as water is turning colder

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No , none of that. All the fish were fine until the weather turned cold. But, most people are saying the cold probably didn't have anything to do with it.
Hi 12cats. I hope your fish are doing better. I briefly read all those suggestions and conclusions and most of them really didn't make much sense. People telling you to check for parasites/ flashing but it would never be a case in cold weather. Also people that saying that cold weather wouldn't have anything to do with your fish problem likely never experienced any cold weather problems with koi. I also thought the same for many years I had ponds till a few years ago I experienced very similar problem you're having with your fish and then after extensive research found out that koi can have something that called "sleeping sickness" in the winter.
However Sleeping sickness is the wrong word for it, as it isn't a sickness but a problem that is described as behavioral abnormality.
They lie on the bottom of the pond looking to all intents and purposes to the world that they are dead, you'll find that even the gills will barely move. What has happened is that the cold has dramtically reduced their metabolisms to such a degree that they appear dead.
It usually happens to younger koi: in my case most of mine that were affected were 2 year old. "Sleeping sickness" is a thing that affect koi when temperature drops very quickly and their immune system goes very low in the short amount of time and they loosing their ability to normally function and lie on their sides. one of my koi started to do it back 5-6 years ago in january when temperature suddenly dropped. then all of the sudden i noticed him to start swimming fast what was very strange in cold water and after an hour of fast swimming he just collapsed on it's side on the bottom of the pond and looked dead. I decided to take him out to see if he's still alive and he was barely alive at that point. I took him in: set up the quarantine tank in the garage and let the water slowly warm up. Also gave him a baytril (Enrofloxacin) injection. He was still lying on his side in the tank but by the evening in about 5-7 hours later when water temperature reached about 50F he woke up and started to act normal. I didn't know what it was then kept him in the garage for 2-3 weeks, then we had some really warm days that winter what water in the pond reached over 50F and i decided to put him back. I got lucky with him and he hadn't have any problems for the rest of the winter. But about a month later 2 of my other koi started to have the same symptoms so i took them both in the garage and did the same as with the first one, they both recovered well and then I decided to put them back also, but that was a mistake as i found out later that it's best to keep this fish inside till spring before putting it back to the pond. So i lost one of the affected koi a couple of weeks later after i put it back in the pond. He was fine after warming him up and I only put him back when it was warmer out and water was closed to 50F, however he relapsed after it got colder again, and me bringing him in the second time didn't help anymore as likely his immune was too far gone from the stress of cold. you can read my post that i posted then and see most of people responses: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/barely-alive-fish.10941/ One of the first fish that was affected i still have now alive and well and it never happened to it ever since. Even now I have one of the koi also lying on his side sometimes. It started back in november when temperature dropped suddenly below freezing. he started to show minor symptoms. This koi is way over 2 year old: he's 4 or 5 y.o. by now but apparently it could also occasionally happen to older koi. But his symptoms are very minor now, and i do still need to winterize pond which i'll do shortly. For the past 5 years i was running my pump and main filter all year around just in the winter i do shut off all the waterfalls and water just runs thru special winter pipe that i set up. and I put pipe heat wire on the pipes and also we build an insulated shed for all my pond equipment, and it seems to help tremendously to keep pond water warmer along with 3 deicers that i usually install but only turn them on in extremely cold weather. The reason that it helps because the external pump generates heat while it's running and by it staying inside insulated shed it keeps the filter warmer and warms up the water that funs thru it. Plus it also helps to jump start the pond in the spring as the filter wasn't dormant and all the good bacteria just hibernate in the winter and wakes up in the spring, and you still have mature filter instead of starting over with sterile one in the spring. I still have to turn off waterfalls and install deicers this winter and hopefully it'll help this koi with slight "sleeping sickness problem. In the attached photo you can see pond set up inside the shed. I hope it helps. Good luck and hoping you can save your koi thru the winter.

Attachments

• 916B8AA2-3695-4FC4-890B-EFF4CB511FD6.jpeg
    916B8AA2-3695-4FC4-890B-EFF4CB511FD6.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 113
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi 12cats. I hope your fish are doing better. I briefly read all those suggestions and conclusions and most of them really didn't make much sense. People telling you to check for parasites/ flashing but it would never be a case in cold weather. Also people that saying that cold weather wouldn't have anything to do with your fish problem likely never experienced any cold weather problems with koi. I also thought the same for many years I had ponds till a few years ago I experienced very similar problem you're having with your fish and then after extensive research found out that koi can have something that called "sleeping sickness" in the winter.
However Sleeping sickness is the wrong word for it, as it isn't a sickness but a problem that is described as behavioral abnormality.
They lie on the bottom of the pond looking to all intents and purposes to the world that they are dead, you'll find that even the gills will barely move. What has happened is that the cold has dramtically reduced their metabolisms to such a degree that they appear dead.
It usually happens to younger koi: in my case most of mine that were affected were 2 year old. "Sleeping sickness" is a thing that affect koi when temperature drops very quickly and their immune system goes very low in the short amount of time and they loosing their ability to normally function and lie on their sides. one of my koi started to do it back 5-6 years ago in january when temperature suddenly dropped. then all of the sudden i noticed him to start swimming fast what was very strange in cold water and after an hour of fast swimming he just collapsed on it's side on the bottom of the pond and looked dead. I decided to take him out to see if he's still alive and he was barely alive at that point. I took him in: set up the quarantine tank in the garage and let the water slowly warm up. Also gave him a baytril (Enrofloxacin) injection. He was still lying on his side in the tank but by the evening in about 5-7 hours later when water temperature reached about 50F he woke up and started to act normal. I didn't know what it was then kept him in the garage for 2-3 weeks, then we had some really warm days that winter what water in the pond reached over 50F and i decided to put him back. I got lucky with him and he hadn't have any problems for the rest of the winter. But about a month later 2 of my other koi started to have the same symptoms so i took them both in the garage and did the same as with the first one, they both recovered well and then I decided to put them back also, but that was a mistake as i found out later that it's best to keep this fish inside till spring before putting it back to the pond. So i lost one of the affected koi a couple of weeks later after i put it back in the pond. He was fine after warming him up and I only put him back when it was warmer out and water was closed to 50F, however he relapsed after it got colder again, and me bringing him in the second time didn't help anymore as likely his immune was too far gone from the stress of cold. you can read my post that i posted then and see most of people responses: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/barely-alive-fish.10941/ One of the first fish that was affected i still have now alive and well and it never happened to it ever since. Even now I have one of the koi also lying on his side sometimes. It started back in november when temperature dropped suddenly below freezing. he started to show minor symptoms. This koi is way over 2 year old: he's 4 or 5 y.o. by now but apparently it could also occasionally happen to older koi. But his symptoms are very minor now, and i do still need to winterize pond which i'll do shortly. For the past 5 years i was running my pump and main filter all year around just in the winter i do shut off all the waterfalls and water just runs thru special winter pipe that i set up. and I put pipe heat wire on the pipes and also we build an insulated shed for all my pond equipment, and it seems to help tremendously to keep pond water warmer along with 3 deicers that i usually install but only turn them on in extremely cold weather. The reason that it helps because the external pump generates heat while it's running and by it staying inside insulated shed it keeps the filter warmer and warms up the water that funs thru it. Plus it also helps to jump start the pond in the spring as the filter wasn't dormant and all the good bacteria just hibernate in the winter and wakes up in the spring, and you still have mature filter instead of starting over with sterile one in the spring. I still have to turn off waterfalls and install deicers this winter and hopefully it'll help this koi with slight "sleeping sickness problem. In the attached photo you can see pond set up inside the shed. I hope it helps. Good luck and hoping you can save your koi thru the winter.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I too feel that the temperature played a major role in my fish's condition. They were perfectly fine until the temp dropped. I lost two large ones and a couple of smaller ones. Now I have the netting on and also put a pool cover over the water to help with the temp, so it's hardto see them now. I can only wish for the best. I do have an aerator and pump running.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@milocat2012 , thank you for sharing your experience. I've read about several people who've had similar experiences with their koi in the winter. Neat shed :)

@12cats , I hope covering the pond makes a positive difference :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I have a large goldfish (about 12"), lying on his side now 2+ months. I did partial water change and the fish store advised pond salt which I didn't do because the other 2 very small fish are fine. I adjusted pH and took out 5 buckets per day replacing the water; did not help. I am in NJ and now cold so I stopped messing with water change. I wonder if its just 'his time' had fish more than 10 years. He was named Carpe Diem, but now I call him "Flounder"; I am very distressed over it. Vet wanted $130 to euthanize, so that didn't happen. How do you humanely put a fish out of misery? I thought you freeze them but what happens when they thaw out at some point. I hope you find a solution seems lots of experts responded. I have ponded for 15 years, and this is my first time with side laying- I was told dropsy or bladder disease?????

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have a large goldfish (about 12"), lying on his side now 2+ months. I did partial water change and the fish store advised pond salt which I didn't do because the other 2 very small fish are fine. I adjusted pH and took out 5 buckets per day replacing the water; did not help. I am in NJ and now cold so I stopped messing with water change. I wonder if its just 'his time' had fish more than 10 years. He was named Carpe Diem, but now I call him "Flounder"; I am very distressed over it. Vet wanted $130 to euthanize, so that didn't happen. How do you humanely put a fish out of misery? I thought you freeze them but what happens when they thaw out at some point. I hope you find a solution seems lots of experts responded. I have ponded for 15 years, and this is my first time with side laying- I was told dropsy or bladder disease?????
You can humanely euthanize your fish with clove oil. Clove oil can be found in health food stores, online and also at the some pharmacy .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I could not read all of the responses. But what I will say is with 30 years of keeping fish. Fresh to reef
Fish can handle a wide range of temperatures and parameters to a point.. As long as the change is gradual. And they are acclimated properly.
You have had no problems for 2 years. All of a sudden over night bam 27° Drop in temperature. That’s a major temperature swing. In a very short period
In an aquarium such a swing as that. Over night. fish are dead.

yes of corse in an aquarium a 27° Drop would mean death. Im not really talking about a 27° Drop in an aquarium
I’m just saying quick drastic changes in temperature are one of the worst thing for fish.

I’m assuming you have plants in the pond?

As far as KH when did you take the reading early morning, late afternoon, evening. Cause this will effect the level of KH the pond will have a higher KH during the the day and lower towards night.

IMO. I think your overthinking it and looking to much into it.
And as far as I’m concerned if fish eat good are active and look good the water is fine.
As far as you. You just got hit with a major temperature change

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I too feel that the temperature played a major role in my fish's condition. They were perfectly fine until the temp dropped. I lost two large ones and a couple of smaller ones. Now I have the netting on and also put a pool cover over the water to help with the temp, so it's hardto see them now. I can only wish for the best. I do have an aerator and pump running.
If you not already done it, you should rase the aerator stone at the top of the pond surface. You don't want to be pumping cold water to the bottom of the pond where fish hibernate searching for warmer water. At the top it will just agitate the water keeping it open then temp drops again. And if you not already have it definitely get a couple of deicers. Usually ones more powerful: like 1200-1500 watts do the job best. I have 3 in my 4000 gallon pond: 1500,W1 500 W and 1 smaller 300 W. Yes they do suck out electricity and that's why I only plug mine in when temperatures go to brutally cold. especially for prolong period of time. And I feel that higher electric bill in cold months would still well worth it in the order to protect your pets and avoid loosing them. Usually when I plug them in the surface temp goes up about 5-7 degrees. Just yesterday i finally partially winterized my pond by shutting off all the waterfalls plugging on the pipe heating wire. didn't install the deicers yet but it's already helped and this morning the surface water temp was up a couple of degrees from yesterday even considering that outside temps were lower last night around lower to mid 30s F. It's already helped the symptoms of that one koi that had slight symptoms of rolling on it's side and now he sits on the bottom normal upright with other fish. It was unusual temp drop in the middle of November when it suddenly dropped way below freezing that is not too common in our area. I was a bit late this year winterizing and shutting off waterfalls as they definitely cooling water off when running but those kind of temps pluming down this early caught all of us by surprise. And even know that in large ponds the water temps don't change as quickly as in smaller aquariums, still quick plummet would make bad affect and that's why deicers usually do good job to prevent it from happening and I'd always plug mine in if know that change is predicted. In my experience they not only have a role of keeping water free of ice as if it would be only a case i wouldn't need them as the circulating pump would do it and my pond would still have a hole, but deicers mainly for me have a role to worm up the water if temps drop suddenly. In fact most of the winter my pond is completely free of ice most of the winter, unless temperatures stay below freezing for a few weeks, but it's only would happen occasionally. If it happens I would have some ice formed but a lot of surface will still be l open between moving water and 3 deicers

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I live in VA near the NC border and I get ice on my pond and have to use a pond heater .I usually turn off my pumps by the end of December .But in NJ they went off in November .I already put my heater in but it is not running yet but it is there when needed.I added a cup of koi clay to the pond yesterday and horse decided to help and hit my arm and I dumped it in 1 spot when I usually spread it around in the pond .It clouds up the water and then buffers it and add minerals fish need .I buy food grade as it is much more pure .I get ice on my pond during Jan. and Feb.

Attachments

• 100_3311.JPG
    100_3311.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 133

Ask a Question